Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:55 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Samples
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:57 pm 

As we all know; stoner, sludge, and doom metal (and any variants thereof that tend to be discussed around here) are notorious for their usage of samples. I'm putting together some recordings and I was wondering what the legal precedents are for this type of thing. I've looked up stuff online, but most of it seems to detail sampling beats or other music for rap music etc. rather than using quotes from movies etc. before a song.

Does anyone with experience know if there are any hurdles one must jump to use these samples, or is it generally alright to just stick 'em on there?

Post subject: Re: Samples
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:32 am 

ive always just done it..if your band becomes 'justin bieber' famous..you might have a problem..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:05 pm 

I haven't heard of Electric Wizard getting sued yet, so I'd say just go for it. Unless you're planning on putting a lot of money into thousands of copies of music with a huge advertising budget, which might bring some heat down on you, but I'm guessing that's most likely not the case.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:29 pm 

E. Wiz removed the "long hair and faggot clothes" sample from the beginning of "Wizard In Black" when Come My Fanatics was reissued so they're probably not immune to litigation. It probably depends on how obscure the sample in question is.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:33 am 

If you go about collecting samples via collections on discs and shit they are generally for public use and you can use as you see fit. I have somewhere near 100,000 samples, loops, stems and what not that are all royalty free. I also have made my own quite a bit which I'm sure if I ever made a buck with it, I'd be sued.

If you're doing it yourself but aren't planning on making money or very little, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you plan to do it professionally you generally need to get permission from whomever holds the rights. Sometimes you have to pay for it, sometimes you don't depending on who and what it is.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]