Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Yamaha Acoustic Guitar model for ~$200?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:59 pm 

Buying used. Looking to pick it up again. "Playability" is a major factor thus looking for a Yammie. Seeking specific 6 string, smaller body model recommends i can look for on CL. A guitar to learn on.

Post subject: Re: Yamaha Acoustic Guitar model for ~$200?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:56 am 

I have a Yamaha, it's not bad. I don't play a lot of acoustic, though I write a lot on acoustic, so it works. Mine is an FG720S, I got it for $250 new. Not the best guitar in the world, though it's served me well over the years. It sounds decent, plays decent, and looks decent. Fairly durable too, I apparently tried to smash it during a Salvia trip, and it's got a bit of a crack now, though it's really no worse for wear.

You could easily get something comparable for $200 used.

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:06 pm 

Thanks for the reply. I need to just go into a shop and look. Lazy/intimidated to ask.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:31 am 

Decided to spend a bit more. Going Taylor 114ce cut-away. How to Delta Blues youtube viddies here i come!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:38 pm 

did you end up getting that taylor? I bet you are loving life. nothing else sounds like that.
I bought a 114E 3 years ago.
I wanted a 314CE. that was the best sounding guitar on the entire wall(NOT retard priced). the solid sapele cutaway auditorium style(the 100 series are laminated sapele fwiw.) I couldn't justify $1800 though so I went through every last lower end taylor made. I really wanted a cutaway but the only model that sounded even close to the 314CE was the 114E, so I decided to skip the cutaway and go for the better sound.

the cutaways all were flat sounding in the delicate middle ranges directly compared to the 314ce side-by-side which is why I was getting the taylor in the first place. I am being very picky. that 114CE is nice. my son bought a 210ce?? the dreadnaught maybe, not the auditorium and that model sounds wonderful too. he said it was like a grand. mine was the cheapo $700 heh.

if you ever want a contrasting guitar, get a rosewood/mahogany dreadnaught like a martin/epiphone/Yamaha. there is a whole different sound to those. taylor can get to be too twangy or something for certain music types
whole opposite type of rounder richer bigger sound

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:07 am 

I did end up going that way. The Taylor 114ce was $800. It came with a really nice Taylor case that prolly retails ~$100. It's laminate but sounds great (yeah, a bit on the brighter side), looks great, solid construction and plays like a dream (electric). Messin' around with guitar is fun again!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:14 am 

It's a beautiful thing. Stoked 4 U!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:36 pm 

Fuckin' around with yer basic Rockabilly (The Cramps riffs), olde Country Blues (Sleepy John Estes esp.) and very simple Folk (Woody) stuff. It also has all the internals to plug in stock. Kinda thinkin' about lookin' on CL for a lil ~30w Fender amp. Would be alot of fun with a slide me thinks. Any recommendations?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:26 pm 

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that out of 300 models of taylor guitars, you ended up with basically the same sapele auditorium. talk about validation for what i chose WOW!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before i forget, i wanted to mention something regarding batteries in my guitars. i have had batteries destroy a camera, a camping light and probably several other things when they fucked up and oozed. I have that taylor and also an active EMG Schecter and both are never stored with a battery inside. the taylor is nice because the battery is in that nice EZ2 remove plastic thing.
i set the whole thing on the shelf out of the guitar.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this segues into your question about amp recommendations for that active taylor output.
I don't really plug the acoustics in. so, in all honesty, i don't know enough to make a valid recommendation. i plugged it into every amp i own when i first got it just to see what's what, but that was it.

I do know that dedicated acoustic guitar amps are more accurate than electric guitar amps and cost quite a bit more than the equivalent SS electric-guitar amp.

i do know that when my son first brought his taylor over and we tried it into the little fender greta 2watt tube amp, we both looked at each other and sort of both said "treetop flyer!"
and we were stoked and hoisted our beers with gusto heh. and that sold me right there on taylor.

also, IDK if you have had a 30watt combo amp before, but if it is tubes, it may be too much power for any in home use. 10 tube watts is frickin loud in the house. the problem is when you want to start driving the tubes for the tone, the volume is too much.

also, horsing around in guitar center for a few hours is worth its weight in gold. you may find something you were not even aware of, that you really like. and those guys/gals will have some recommendations too. (use their taylor guitar in case you bash it on something in the store haha)

that's all i have. [Maxwell Smart voice] "Sorry about that chief" [/Maxwell Smart voice]
this is where we need the acoustic guru to step forward.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:23 am 

Yep. 30w of clean is plenty of juice. The 1st watt is the most important watt. I'll poke around CL. There are bargains with newer production SS amps. Maybe i'll cash in some "Audio Karma" & get lucky with a 60's era lower watt valve?!? I'll keep ya posted here....

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]