Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:23 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 41 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Playing live for the first time ever. Tips?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:17 am 

i got to try the free whisky thing..can i substitute tequila .??

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:13 am 

Defintely ask for Whiskey in your monitor \m/,

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:41 pm 

mortlock wrote:
i got to try the free whisky thing..can i substitute tequila .??

you have my permission.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:47 am 

Today is the day.

We also put out a rehearsal recording a couple of days back. Unmixed and unmastered, direct from the Zoom H2 gadget. http://bevarsea.bandcamp.com

We also got some coverage in the local Time Out, so we've done all we could.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:52 pm 

Well, share how it went, and if you learned anything not suggested here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:12 am 

As said already, match your amps/stage volume to the drums, as if there's no PA. Nothing fucks up an out-front mix faster than a band dependent on a PA, playing in a new, strange room, with an apathetic and/or shitty soundman. If you drink, have one or MAYBE two drinks/beers beforehand, (most of) your nerves will chill out. Don't be rattled by the room sounding different than what you're accustomed to--it's gonna sound different!
Be prepared gear-wise--don't be the guy that's responsible for aborting the set because you don't have an extra A string or snare head.

Basically what everyone else said..... Have fun man! You'll learn much from this first show

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:27 am 

Lots of plusses and minuses.

Plusses first:

- Over 200 people turned up, and many to watch us exclusively. The scene here has been dead for everyone other than school kids who listen to modern metal, but we managed to bring many old(er) people out and they loved the shit out of it.
- Not to mention, we had lots of teenage kids who were more upfront and enjoying themselves throughout the set.
- We went in with only this gig, and we now have a couple of local shows confirmed, and a couple of outstation shows in the talks.
- We got ourselves our own sound engineer and a guy to book and manage our live shows from now on.
- The Facebook page now has double the number of fans since the show was announced three weeks ago.
- To my own surprise I wasn't nervous at all.

Minuses:

- Orphaned Land took hours to setup and soundcheck. And they were assholes. No amps and backline for others bands in the lineup, and a very dead sounding drumkit for the drummers. (I knew this was going to happen. Plus on most other shows, the amps are solid state practise amp quality, so both of us guitarists got a Samsamp character series pedal each and we went direct. It apparently sounded massive outside)
- We got no soundcheck at all, and our 45 minute set was cut short to 20.
- As a result, the sound guy was quickly able to do a PA mix, but on stage we could hear absolutely nothing. This second drumkit was kept on the far left and I was standing on the far right, and I could only hear the crash constantly. That truly sucked, but on important moments I kept walking up to the drummer to make sure it was tight.
- We fucked up a bit, something that needs to fixed. Stems out of not being used to playing in the dark and not being able to hear anyone else.

Here's some footage that a friend shot. Shoddy but what the hell.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:05 am 

Hey man that was pretty good judging by that footage. Seems like you know your material.. unlike my first gig. I used to play in a band that improvised a lot and I was on another planet during the show...

I find I don't get nervous at all for a gig, there's generally pure soundcheck boredom and you're too busy trying to make sure all your buddies that came to see you are cool and that. And then someone will grab you and say "we're on" and you're like "oh shit, already?"

But yeah, I'd say pretty much what everyone else said - don't try and be too complex with gear and you'll be better for it. I played guitar live for the first time in like 3/4 years the other day after playing bass in a load of bands and I straight up sucked. I was trying to switch guitars, one I just didn't tune, schoolboy errors basically.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:50 pm 

great thread and great clip!!! well done dude! your band sounds cool! :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:05 am 

Thanks!

We just restarted rehearsals since this Friday is the show day. This time we're not facing the drummer when we play, and we're also not playing in front of our own amps. Basically getting used to bad mixes. Also playing with low light and no light is terrible. NEED MORE PRACTISE. MUST STOP BEING N00BS.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:49 am 

Also, to keep putting something new out all the time, we're getting our first band merch done. We will be putting out a tshirt for almost every song of ours - limited runs of 50, every second month or so. Our other guitarist is the artist and it's definitely a way to keep things busy, and the merch table has a lot of things to choose from too. Different colours, shirts, sweatshirts, hoodies, long sleeves and so on. If this catches on, recorded music will be a giveaway in its digital format, alongside a premium priced fancy physical packaging with killer merchandise.

Anyway:

The band logo on the front:

The back's got the 'Hand of Doom':

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:35 pm 

The jitters disappear after the first song. Remember that mistakes are part of a live show, especially as a new band who aren't as tight as one thats been touring and playing every night. My first show everyone said they knew when I messed because you could see it in my face. The key is to accept you will fuck up and have fun. If you mess up so what, nobody knows your songs like you do so they won't even notice. If you're having a good time, the audience is having a good time.

Just don't think about it, live shows are a fucking blast. Be loose and ready to bring the rock.

http://www.myspace.com/lowgravity303

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:46 pm 

EugenicScum wrote:
Thanks!

Basically getting used to bad mixes. Also playing with low light and no light is terrible.

My band purposefully practices with low lighting so we'll be used to it when we play shows.

Figure out where you NEED to be to stay tight when the sound is poor. If you need to be by your drummer then set up next to your drummer so you can visually or sonically que off of him.

Like many have said, keep playing when you screw up. Hardly anyone will notice if you just move along.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:45 pm 

I think we all failed to tell you that at least one band will drag their feet and start their set late as shit so 5! YES FIVE! more people can see their band! Then have the fucking balls to stretch their set from 45 to an hour. This band thinks they are the next coming of Metallica and suck way more than any other band playing the gig! There is a special place in Hell for these arrogant twats and with any luck they will visit before they go on stage. There really should be enforced rules for these types. Like all the other bands get to drag them off the stage at exactly when their time is up then take their equipment. To be divided by the people who physically removed them from the stage.

It was gracious of Eugenic Scum to shorten your set to make up for the inconsiderate ass band.

And, good front man. It shows he digs the music.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:37 am 

We've started playing to click tracks, and have also been making some final adjustments to our individual parts. In about two weeks we plug and hit record. If it doesn't suck, we have our first album. Three songs, 25 minutes. That should give us another reason to tour and spread the word around faster. Also good to have products for sale when we play shit venues for shit pay.

Here's the poster for an upcoming show, organised by a bunch of friends who love all things death and grind. You can make out from the log that we're going to stick out like a sore thumb, but yeah, it's going to be fucking awesome. We'll at least get a proper soundcheck and a full set. (same venue as the debut show)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:27 pm 

Ya know what always eases me before every show? CHICKS!
Make sure to promote this show well... nothing better on your 1st show than seeing people you know out there cheering you on. It'll ease the tension...
Other than that everyone has said all that needs to be known. Just relax and have FUN! no pressure

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 41 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2