Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:30 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: Re: Recording!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:43 am 

I know I started this same thread months and months ago but im still on a mission with no results so far, i remember you guys gave me loads of help especially Jibberish I remember so thanks everyone :) Iv bought, tried and sold minidisc recorders and digital recorders and im still not happy, iv been trying this type of thing because at first I just wanted something quick, easy and light for taking back and forth to praccy but I just dont seem to get on with them at all, i hate that 'digitally' sound, now im thinking i'll use a multitrack tape recorder, iv been looking around, reading reviews etc, theres some bad reviews out there so I thought i'd ask you wise wizards of riff worship, what do you guys use / recommend? my budget will only stretch to £200, thanks for your help ~.~

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:41 am 

Is this to record ideas/demos or for a proper recording

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:46 pm 

ideas/demo, im not worried about uber quality infact i prefer grimy old sounding recordings so long as it sounds natural and warm and not at all digital then its good for me :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:18 pm 

If it's just for an "auditory scratch pad" kinda thing, we now use a Zoom H2 to record all our practice sessions, and most of our gigs. It takes some tweaking, and actually works better with an external, condenser mic, but it's perfectly usable as it comes, out of the box. We used to use an old fostex 4-track cassette deck with the same external condenser mic. I'd send it to you for postage costs, but you being in the UK, I dunno if it's worth it? and you'd still need to get an external mic for it.
The Zoom is readily available, at least in the US, and usually runs around $150 USD. We're surprised at the quality of the sound we get from it, even with just the onboard mics.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:08 pm 

I swear by the Tascam DR-07. I have been using it to record practices for about a year now, and it continues to be awesome. I paid $129 US for mine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:24 pm 

I remember those old 4 track to cassette recorders...pure crap. 1) no volume no matter how high you turned up the volume. 2) mic quality could not affect #1.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:26 pm 

It's tough to get something really top notch for cheap, however, if you train your ears to know what you want to hear, the rest becomes trial and error that just gets you closer to what you want to achieve. The quality of even the cheapest digital equipment these days is really good, compared to those of us that started out on 4/ 8 track cassettes back some time ago. It usually takes alot of time to train ones ear--lots of listening and analyzing one's favorite recording and learning how to translate that to a recording medium. And that's the toughest hurdle.....but if you know that you're not sounding the way that you'd like, that's at least a first step in that you can identify that it's not sounding the way that you want it to. Just keep redoing things and changing things slightly to get closer to what that is.

When you say the "digitally" sound, the thing is about digital is that it's very unforgiving about what goes into it--it doesn't add color like tape does, and it can easily sound lifeless and sterile. If something's sounding too dull, try some compression, try some reverb/ room sound/ slapback delay or doubling it or adding a harmony part or even just playing another part an octave up or octave down. Or sometimes taking something away works wonders, too.

On a budget, if you can record on your PC (if you have enough horsepower), Reaper is pretty good, apparently (it's $60), and you can get an interface for pretty cheap. I've personally got a PreSonus Firestudio Project running into Studio One (designed by Cubase guys that left to design Studio One stuff)--i'm unsure which PreSonus interfaces come with the Studio One software, but it's free with the Firestudio, at least. I can't recommend Studio One enough.....it sounds great and is super easy to use.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:47 am 

look for an old tape deck at a second hand store..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:57 am 

a Tascam DR-07? really? lucky that works out for you it looks really convenient!

thanks for the generous offer justjon iv flagged a few old fostex on Ebay which I could even pick up locally so i'll see how that goes... :)

I guess i'll just follow my instincts as to what to try next, Ryan i'll have to wait a few months when iv bought a new laptop and wiped this one clean to consider software etc, this laptop is on its last legs it cant even play a video now!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:19 am 

I've got an M-audio 2 channel usb interface that I have hooked up to my macbook. Garageband is great and really easy to use, I'm sure there's some good software for pc too. Digital recording is so much easier and less time consuming that analog especially compared to cheap four-tracks where you really have to know what you're doing to get decent recordings.

If you want a "warmer" recording you could try using a pre-amp of some sort that will compress an distort the signal a bit. Like an old tape echo, some effects pedal or whatever you have available.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:34 pm 

This was recorded with a DR-07 placed in the middle of the room:

http://soundcloud.com/moonstation-burni ... am-10-2-10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:08 pm 

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TASPORTA02MKII

we have used something like this for years to record our practices. Plug in two mics (SM 57s), hit record, and you're done. I thne transfer to my computer and conver to MP3 or WAV using soundforge.

It's more than enough to get ideas down and remembering structures.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=954486
everything on that soundclick page was recorded like this.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:40 pm 

Still persevering with an old mp3 player stuffed inside a hat during practices... heh

At home I use an old sony casette dictaphone, its on its way out so will need to replace it soon - have seen some good suggestions as to what with here!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:22 am 

wow! mastermind that track is really awesome, I liked the other stuff on the jam room thread too, the recording is really good too, i'll definetly be tempted to pick up a DR-07 in a few months when i have more 'disposable' moneys ;)

ok i decided to get the cheapest first tape recorder that came up on ebay so I have a tascam porta 07 coming, it looks rubbish and i cant find any reviews anywhere but i have a good feeling about it ;) how do you get tracks onto your laptop from an old tape recorder?

tossom i used to use an mp3 player recorder i really liked the results better than the digi studio..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:52 am 

Thanks! We went and did four more last weekend at Mind Rocket in PA (where local favorites Rebreather also record) that are bigger and better in every way, however more similar to the jam I linked to recorded with the DR-07 than the other stuff in our soundcloud. I haven't even heard the rough mixes yet, I am hoping to get to hear them this weekend as it is eating me alive from the inside not having a copy of them.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]