Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 115 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Post Pics Of Your Rig (Jam Room Memorial)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:08 pm 

Ryan Electrocution wrote:
Yeah, I live in Winnipeg--nice Garnets, Pissy! The one in your first picture (bottom left....or at least the one that has the "Garnet Amps" silkscreen on the metal that's diagonal--from about '67 or '68), that one is super hard to find. One of those came up in the used ads a couple of years back, and someone got to it before I did......never saw one since and even checking through Garnets' EBay auctions list (last time I looked a year or so ago), I couldn't find one that came up for years on EBay. The one that did come up in the used ads, I offered the guy I think $200 more than he was asking for (I think he was asking $450) to "forget" about the other guy, but he wouldn't do it. Fuck!

My main bass is a Fender Jaguar (made in Japan)--they'd discontinued them a year or two ago, not sure why....they play great, have active pickups and a shitload of tonal options. They play a bit like a Jazz Bass, too. I've never really been that crazy about the way that most basses look, but it's about as cool looking as a bass gets.

I got that one for about 450 and it was broken. 1966 from what I can tell. Bloated caps, and the plates on the tubes lit up big time. No head cab either, so I had Splawn (who is here in Charlotte) make me one based off of the BTO dimensions. Quite a beauty. I probably spent 700 getting it to the point that it is now including the purchase.

Actually, I took pics initially, I found a mouse skull in the bell of one of the transformers:

I paid about 250 each for those BTO's though close to ten years ago. best score ever. The one on the Ampeg cab has Gar's signature.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:51 pm 

And get this Ryan...

There was a guy in Ohio that had a Pro 6oo Super with a Garnet 412 cab and he only wanted 600 for the package about a year ago. I called him, talked to him, try tried to get him to ship it and he absolutely wouldn't. Some guy came all the way to Findlay Ohio from Toronto to pick it up. i think he sold it a few months ago for 1200 or so.

6!! EL34's pushing about 250 watts. Damn I wanted that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:07 am 

Ever come across any of those H-Zog preamps up there? Well, technically, they're small amps rather than preamps, but run into a clean amp, they hit the preamp section hard. I've always wanted to dick around with one of those.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:39 pm 

RacerX wrote:
Ever come across any of those H-Zog preamps up there? Well, technically, they're small amps rather than preamps, but run into a clean amp, they hit the preamp section hard. I've always wanted to dick around with one of those.

We used one while recording our album. Tracked some guitar and bass through one. they are awsome. Endless sustain.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:31 am 

Personally I have never seen one. I live in NC though, so it's not that surprising.

Dude up there still makes them in lots, once he has enough orders to justify it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:17 am 

Pissy wrote:
And get this Ryan...

There was a guy in Ohio that had a Pro 6oo Super with a Garnet 412 cab and he only wanted 600 for the package about a year ago. I called him, talked to him, try tried to get him to ship it and he absolutely wouldn't. Some guy came all the way to Findlay Ohio from Toronto to pick it up. i think he sold it a few months ago for 1200 or so.

6!! EL34's pushing about 250 watts. Damn I wanted that.

Wow! That would have been great. Garnets are getting harder and harder to find nowadays, and alot of people have really caught onto the greatness of them. They kind of remind me of Dodge musclecars--what they lack in features, they more than make up for them in pure horsepower. I had a Gnome that i'd sold a year or two back--cool little 7 watter.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:47 pm 

Time to revive this thead...

My GT200 got a facelift. From this

To this

while we had it open, got some gut shots. check out that wirring! Notice how each power tube has its own bias resistor. That's right kids individual bias for each tube, no need to buy matched sets, if one goes, pop in any 6550/kt88 and bias it up...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:16 am 

Ahh you guys are blessed, this thread is gear heaven *sigh*

this is what iv got for now, Aria guitar, Boss OD, trace 1x18, laney 1x15, the trace head i bought on Ebay and it turns out its frankenstein inside with all kinds of different bits including the main board of another amp, it still sounds awesome though, its a beast!...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:42 pm 

Man, that amp is awesome both before and after, Brow! That thing is really wired and put together well from the inside out--no circuit boards there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:11 am 

Jem,

what's the history on that Aria? MIJ? In 85 or 86 when I was gettin in the gitfiddle game my local guitar store dude was selling Aria's, Westone's, and (I wish I had grabbed one but did not) Yamaha DG's. Note, I bought into the whole Gibson is the only company in the world that builds a no suck guitar mentality...DOH! And, bought not one but two meh Gibsons. I are a smarter fiddle buyer these days.

Back on track, nice wood, what's the lowdown on the Aria?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:53 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:17 pm 

Baltar73 wrote:

Whatcha got there? Can you tell us or are those top secret?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:33 am 

dogfood did you try one of those Aria's? I am in love with Aria guitars, had a friend who had a few and I was instantly drawn to them, this one is a PE I dont know the exact model anymore, I had fallen in love with one but could never remember the model so I searched for months knowing what I wanted and found it on Ebay, they just have a really nice warm thick tone with loads of balls to it, endless sustain, it sounds really awesome clean or with loads of distortion, bass, fuzz, down tuning etc it takes whatever I throw at it, I love it ;)))

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:42 pm 

Quote:
The cab is next to impossible to find....the head occasionally comes up, but to find the matching set in this condition, there's not too many of 'em around. I've never seen a U2080 cab sold online, anywhere, anytime.

There's a first time for everything....

I know it's off topic, but this is the only place on the Ultranets where one of these is actually pictured. Obviously this Cab is nowhere near as lovely as that blue color, but the speaker cutouts have drawn me enough goodwill from snobby gear heads that I think there must be some sort of mystical symmetry at work.

Anyways, I gotta move to Florida from Oregon and I just can't justify bringing this with me. Anybody interested? It has the original speakers on top, Roland replacements on the bottom 2, and all of the grill cloths are completely intact. I play guitar, but really synthy and through bass amps, and I totally bought this instead of a similar Ampeg I was also trying out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:23 pm 

How much are you asking?

definitely interested.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:25 pm 

Jem,

I think this says it all

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:29 pm 

here's my bedroom setup.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:51 am 

Basement Setup

I've gotten a Beta Bass since this pic but I still dust of a Concert Bass every once in a while.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:13 pm 

The curly cord is like the icing on the cake. Awesome

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:40 pm 

porkbrains wrote:
Quote:
The cab is next to impossible to find....the head occasionally comes up, but to find the matching set in this condition, there's not too many of 'em around. I've never seen a U2080 cab sold online, anywhere, anytime.

There's a first time for everything....

I know it's off topic, but this is the only place on the Ultranets where one of these is actually pictured. Obviously this Cab is nowhere near as lovely as that blue color, but the speaker cutouts have drawn me enough goodwill from snobby gear heads that I think there must be some sort of mystical symmetry at work.

Anyways, I gotta move to Florida from Oregon and I just can't justify bringing this with me. Anybody interested? It has the original speakers on top, Roland replacements on the bottom 2, and all of the grill cloths are completely intact. I play guitar, but really synthy and through bass amps, and I totally bought this instead of a similar Ampeg I was also trying out.

Whoa, cool! Is that the black version? I know that Univox had a U1011 lead head or something like that in black tolex, so that must be the cab for it?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:28 am 

Amazing thread!

I LOVE the layout of those speakers.
the_brow wrote:

Nearly finished:
Behringer mixer, two channels going into crossover, going into Matamp 500W stereo power amp, going into 4x12 H&Hs
Since then, the head is now (just about) covered in nice dark green "leather", gonna try and finish that today.
Then I need to find some grill cloth.
This is about the best seller I can find: http://www.torresamps.com/grill_cloth.htm
But I'm not decided yet, does anyone know where you can get some half decent grill cloth that isn't "vintage" bloody Fender style?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:15 pm 

hairyneil wrote:
Amazing thread!
Then I need to find some grill cloth.
This is about the best seller I can find: http://www.torresamps.com/grill_cloth.htm
But I'm not decided yet, does anyone know where you can get some half decent grill cloth that isn't "vintage" bloody Fender style?

http://www.vibroworld.com/parts/tech10.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:12 am 

Fantastic, this is exactly what I've been looking for!
Now comes the problem of choosing...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:36 am 

Danny G wrote:
The curly cord is like the icing on the cake. Awesome

haha, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:57 pm 

Fin!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 115 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next