Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: mix suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:05 pm 

hey, just curious as to any opinions on this mix. I think the bass is too loud and the main guitar tracks need to come up a bit. I'd say the wah stuff needs to be toned down a little, but I like where the vocals sit. I'm going to be putting this and another song we did on a 7", so I want it to be as good as possible. thanks. I'll spam it when it's officially ready.

http://loud-art.com/WW_01edit.mov

Post subject: Re: mix suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:07 pm 

I think you're right on the main guitar track(s?)—bring it up. The bass sounds about right relative to the drums to me, so I don't think it needs to come down. Changing the relative volumes should do it.

Otherwise, it sounds pretty good! Mebbe try a little eq work to separate the guitar & bass signals in that common ground of the upper bass register if boosting the guitar doesn't work out to your satisfaction.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:28 pm 

yeah man, good point. I was thinking that the bass is pretty midrangey, and cutting those freqs might help balance it out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:58 pm 

PM'ed -Matt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:26 pm 

I really like this. I like the heavy Mountain sorta vibe, like "Missippi Queen" or "Never In My Life" that it has going on. I think the mix is pretty good, but it just needs a few tweaks: i'd raise the vocals a bit (the bellowing thing is cool, like Leslie West or Fred Turner of BTO), and the snare needs to be compressed less.....it kind of robs it a bit of some of the forward 4/4 momentum that the song has in the verses, a really lumbering groove. I might put a bit more reverb/ room sound on the drums (esp bass drum) and de-compress it (if you can....some print the compression right to the recording). I like how high the cymbals are, really loud--good choice there. The bass is pretty loud, but then again, it has a big presence in the song anyways.....that's more of a taste thing I guess, but alot of records mix the bass pretty low when they should be turning it up higher. Guitars, i'd keep those levels--the out of control ambient wah really works to get that psychedelic craziness going.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:13 am 

hey Ryan, thanks for the input. Some nice compliments you give me, I'm a Mountain fan and I write this stuff. Looks like we're going to have Matt/Mysterious Mammal from Snail mix this one for us. The other tune that goes with it is more metal, but also a bit groovy. We have lots more good ones in a similar vein, yet to be properly recorded. cheers

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]