Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Drummers - Help me buy a present please :)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:13 pm 

Hey all....

I'm going crazy back and forth over this so Im asking for some help now please, I want to surprise John with an awesome cymbal or two or a pack. Basically right now he's putting up with some battered old ones that are no good really, I'll prob buy from this website as I've bought from there before and they are easy to deal with and fast:

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/box-sets

My budget is only £200 so I can buy a budget pack OR one or two really great cymbals that hes less likely to be replacing in a year or two. I thought the Zildjian 20" Crash of Doom sounds awesome because itd be a really good cymbal and a special one that he'll keep for years, whereas he'll be replacing a cheap pack within a year but I know how much that would benefit him for right now! The only thing is I'v read some reviews saying that the Crash of Doom is not so great with high volume metal because it doesnt cut through? The music he plays atm is extremely loud, bassy and heavy, sludge doom, but it seems good for atmospheric quieter bits?

If you were a drummer not long started out but serious and someone had £200 to spend on you, what would be your ultimate gift?

Thanks! :)

Post subject: Re: Drummers - Help me buy a present please :)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:22 pm 

Hey Jumz, as a long time drummer I would be more about the quality than the quantity.

One good crash or ride can really give a guy (or gal) a leg up on a signature sound and will give a beginning drummer something to shoot for in the future.
And as you noted the better cymbals can last longer though that really depends on how the drummer hits them.

Check out the "Avedis" line of Zildjian Cymbals.
They have a great performance to price ratio and are the cymbals that I personally have used for decades.
Sabian is the only other brand I have experience with and they have some nice lines as well though I can't make a specific recommendation.

Good luck and keep us posted!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:19 pm 

I wouldn't buy a pack. Get something of greater quality and duration.

Personally I'm pickier about my ride sound so I wouldn't want someone to buy me one. I appreciate all different tones of crashes. If it's heavy doom/sludge, get a heavier crash/ride. Or get him to a local store to hit some cymbals with sticks and talk about what he likes. Dudes dig it when ladies ask them about that kinda stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:37 am 

Thanks for the advice guys :)

Yeah I got John a Paiste Rude 20" Power Ride in the end, I found a good wee local shop where I could see the stuff and talk to someone, this was the most highly recommended, it sounds really damn good, its so loud!

All that shopping around made me wish I was a drummer, I've never paid much attention to drum gear before but looking at all those cymbals and the different materials and finishes and the hand made stuff, its all really beautiful! I can see why it becomes addictive!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:04 pm 

Pounding the shit out of some drums is pretty addictive. But it's the most expensive musical habit I've found. Crack a cymbal and all that money just went down the drain. Heads needs to be replaced every few months at least to sound halfway decent. Sticks shatter.

So it's visceral, but damn costly.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]