Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Recording glitches and something about presonus/studio
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:50 am 

Hey guys....

Im having a slight problem with the recording of my guitar, im tuned to A and coming through a bass head, 15 & 18, so as you can imagine the sound is really bassy. The problem is that what I can hear in the room is not what gets fully picked up in the recording, its missing out tons of sustain and kind of choking up in places and sounding blunt as if the mic cant take in all of the bass/volume, is it because im being stupid and trying to record too loud (volume is only at 6 so surely that cant be it), do I need better mics (iv always been told to use shure sm's but only have hire of rubbish old practise room mics for now), is it mic placement? (Iv tried close and far) or something else?

Also, im using a presonus usb audiobox and studio one. Iv had no problems at all recording at home, the first couple of times I took it down to the practise rooms I got home to find that the recordings were skipping and repeating all over the place, the third time I took it down and decided to turn down the volume massively to see if that would help and it did, there was only one little skip/repeat bit in the recording, has anyone else had this problem? is it down to volume?

Post subject: Re: Recording glitches and something about presonus/studio
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:39 pm 

JemDooM wrote:
Im having a slight problem with the recording of my guitar, im tuned to A and coming through a bass head, 15 & 18, so as you can imagine the sound is really bassy. The problem is that what I can hear in the room is not what gets fully picked up in the recording, its missing out tons of sustain and kind of choking up in places and sounding blunt as if the mic cant take in all of the bass/volume

Mics are not linear, so they will always colour the sound. One solution is to use two or more mics in mixed techniques: some of them capturing the ambient, some of them close to the speaker, some in between...
...then you can balance them in the mix to get the sound as close to what it sounded live.

Even high-decibel microphones, used in close-mic'ing can saturade, so large-diaphragm at moderate distance may work better.

JemDooM wrote:
Also, im using a presonus usb audiobox and studio one.
(...) the recordings were skipping and repeating all over the place
(...) has anyone else had this problem? is it down to volume?

Computer geeks (Im almost one of them) call it "latency".
It doesnt have to do with volume. Its about CPU frecuency, available RAM memory and system health (software).

Hope that helps in the quest for the sacred rumble.

Post subject: Re: Recording glitches and something about presonus/studio
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:32 am 

Thanks Frater that totally clears it up, next time I'll use more mics and make sure the laptop system is running as well as poss!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]