Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: effects boards for vox
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:42 am 

i'm a vocalist who likes to use effects pedals for atmospheric effects. i've been told that effects board technology has improved considerably over the years, and i'm curious if folks have any input on this front. ultimately i'm looking for a board that enables me to program specific effects for specific tracks and has the ability to tweak the specific effects used. in other words, i'm looking for something that offers more than rigid canned effects.

any/all insight would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.

http://one-eyedking.bandcamp.com/

Post subject: Re: effects boards for vox
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:04 pm 

I'm a big fx junkie. Been doing guitar pedalboards since long before any of these companies started to make products that you can actually use on a pre-fab board... hell... even before pre fab boards.

I also have experimented with fx for vocals. I've tried the cheap digitech multi fx shit, the expensive versions by TC Helicon, and even a handful of extra gtr pedals I had sitting around.

The all-in-one, extra tweakable stuff is nice if you don't have a job and can sit around all day trying to come up with good sounds. BUT... they will inevitably sound different when you get to each venue. They also limit the order of fx you can use, and also how many you can use at once. I think this rule applies to the expensive digital units. The cheap ones just plain old suck, and feed back like crazy. Not to mention that they are even MORE limited.

What I have found interesting is that recently, TC Helicon started making individual pedals for vocals, with what looks like some linking cable to make life easier. They are singular fx that you can make a vocal pedal board with. I'm very much thinking about getting a bunch of those.

Now you say, "canned" fx pedals... What you DO get with those is quality vocal fx that are specifically tuned for use with mics (not instruments), and you can put them in any order you want, and turn them all on at the same time, if that's what floats your boat. And the best part is that each pedal is individually tweakable... with knobs... that you can see, rather than a virtual menu that is not shown while in use.

To recap:

Crappy http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/digitech-vocal-300-vocal-effects-processor

Better, but still crappy... and too expensive for what you'll get http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/tc-helicon-voicelive-2-floor-based-vocal-processor

Awesome...It's about damn time! http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?sB=r&question=TC+Helicon+VoiceTone+Singles

Revebnation
LastFM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:39 pm 

thanks for that detailed response. greatly appreciated.

you make a lot of sense...and i'll likely end up purchasing some of the tc helicon pedals. that said, was just curious as to your thoughts on the voicelive touch.

i'm imagining you'll lump it in with voiceline 2 floor-based unit, perhaps with a couple of caviats.

cheers - geoff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:09 am 

The voicelive touch thing is neat looking, but will be just as limited as the others as you already assumed. But... much like retarded smart phones and those damn touch screens, it will surely lag in how it responds on the screen. Maybe not right away, but eventually it will piss you off.

That being said... you are definitely better off with those pedals. I will be making the plunge very soon also. Gotta get a board, some industrial velcro, and a power supply. Other than that, maybe a case of some sort. A small keyboard soft shell case will likely be fine for this.

Good luck!

Revebnation
LastFM

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]