Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: What gear to get.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:45 pm 

Hey,

Didn't really know in which thread I should ask this so I made a new one. I've been listening to stoner/doom for quite some time now(started when I was 16 and I'm 19 now) and after quite some time of neglecting my guitar I started playing again recently. I've been jamming with a friend a couple of times now and am really enjoying myself but he has quite some sweet and expensive amps and the problem is my gear isn't that great(by which I mean it kinda sucks). I play a budget Ibanez through a big muff into a marshall valvestate 8080. To even get a nice doomy sound I need to crank everything up so high that the sound gets extremely muddy and almost all hi tones and most mids are pushed away by all the low tones. I'm wondering what I should change first for getting a nicer, clearer and more controllable sound, I (try to) play stuff varying from the more YOB like doom to Orange Goblin rock/stoner. Should I start by getting a better amp, guitar or expanding my pedals? Unfortunately I'm a student and don't have that much money to spend(although I'm quite willing to skip some weekends partying to save money).

All help is appreciated!

oh and sorry if my english isn't perfect

Post subject: Re: What gear to get.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:03 am 

Folkert wrote:
Should I start by getting a better amp, guitar or expanding my pedals? Unfortunately I'm a student and don't have that much money to spend(although I'm quite willing to skip some weekends partying to save money).

oh and sorry if my english isn't perfect

You're English is fine.

Your Big Muff is a good place to start. You may want to experiment with other fuzz pedals, but definitely keep the Big Muff. It's a great pedal.

I'm sure a lot of people will tell you to get an Orange or Matamp amp head. While these are excellent amps, they are very expensive. One alternative I've found is the Tech 21 Oxford pedal. It duplicates the tone of an Orange amp, at a fraction of the price.

Another important thing to consider is the speakers you're using. Personally, I think you need at least a 4x12 cabinet. Two of them is even better. There's something special that happens when the sounds from multiple speakers mix in the air - your tone has more depth and complexity. Celestion speakers are generally considered the best, but I also like Peaveys a lot, especially Peavey Sheffield speakers.

Also, a lot of the tone that doom players get is a result of high volume. The louder you play, the more sustain and feedback you'll get.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:42 pm 

The head you use is pretty important, but it will be one of the most expensive purchases you make, so if you are on a budget I say pedals are the way to go...almost any store, boutique or guit center, will let you return pedals at least for exchange, so play a bunch in the store, then take one or two home and try 'em with your rig...if you don't like it, repeat the process until you find something that works well for you.

Another factor to consider is the guitar...if it's super cheapo budget then an upgrade will surely help, but if it's mid-range, you might consider just changing at least one of your pickups as well.

Don't be held back by not having the funds for the big ticket gear...experiment and you will find something satisfying until you can upgrade. I've heard pretty awesome tones from gear I would have otherwise dismissed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:18 am 

peavey classic 50.
more than affordable, and they take pedals very well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:12 pm 

thanks for all the tips!

the guitar was about mid-range and I play it over at my friends place where it sounds allot better.

About the amps, you say the head is important but does this mean that I'd be better of by getting myself some nice pedals(although the guitarshop over here doesn't have that much to choose from) instead of say an orange tiny terror? Because I won't be playing live soon and if I will it won't be often I figured I wouldn't need a super powerful head so saving for one of those(or something in that price range) and a 4x12(don't think my parents will love me anymore if I'd get 2) would be a possibility.

What do you guys think? Amp or pedals? And are there any decent heads for 400-600 euro's?(sorry I know this little about gear but I've never really been interested in it and I am quite busy with studying so I prefer playing guitar over reading gear reviews)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:57 pm 

If you like that sound, the tiny terror is a pretty decent little head...I was playing around with a Dark Terror at the shop here in portland and actually liked the tone I was getting a lot....and they are reasonably priced compared to a 100w Orange head for sure.

As I said, I would start with what you have now and try out some pedals...if you don't get a decent sound out of them then return them and go for one of the Terrors, if they are to your liking.

Start with your least expensive option....there will be plenty of toys you want down the road.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]