Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]
 Post subject: Recommend me a good, loud, clean combo amp.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:22 am 

Solid state preferable. I need to be able to keep up with a Twin and a tube bass amp powering a 2x15. I want a distinctively different tone than a Twin. I have an AC30 clone, and it is too dirty. I have tried a Deluxe Reverb, which sounds great, but I would like to get away from that Fender tone, and I would like a solid state amp for low maintenance. This is a band that breaks a lot of gear, so cheap is also good.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Recommend me a good, loud, clean combo amp.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:32 pm 

Music Man? Solidstate/tube hybrid. Cheap and sound decent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:06 pm 

I actually used a Music Man combo that was excellent, but I would like to get away from tubes if possible, I don't particularly care for the sound, and the reliability factor is always an issue. I should probably add that I need a really disgusting reverb sound with it as well. However, I could use a pedal for that. The old DOD pedals are excellent for that purpose.

I am looking at a Rogue 2x12, does anyone have any experience with these amps?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:38 pm 

I am looking into the Roland Jazz Chorus 120. The sound clips I have heard sound excellent. The clean channel is very sparkling and spacious. The overdrive channel sounds like dog dick. Does anyone have experience with these and confirm the information that I have so far, or add anything?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:07 pm 

Very interesting, Dinger.

So you're not quitting music after all, eh?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:16 pm 

They have a Roland Jazz Chorus 30 and a 60 watt down at the local music store. Both sound pretty decent. Is the 120 watt the same basic tone, just a bit louder?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:44 pm 

No. The 120 has more of a "police helicopter in an overloaded washing machine" tone to it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:58 pm 

The ZT Lunchbox is badass, puts out 200 watts and has cleans for days.

http://www.lunchboxamp.com/

Their new ZT Club looks even better, with a 12" speaker.

http://www.ztclubamp.com/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:46 pm 

RacerX wrote:
No. The 120 has more of a "police helicopter in an overloaded washing machine" tone to it.

Well then, that sounds very intriguing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:06 pm 

The concert and coliseum Sunns have great cleans, Andy. They can get broken up, but it's light gain. No saturation, at least no heavy saturation. The 120 always sounded crazy sterile, even with the great built in chorus. I mean, if it's what you're after, you might be able to pick one up for under three hundred bones.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:14 am 

peavey bandit...cheap, great clean tone, takes pedals well. peavey classic...great clean tone, but it has a nice, punchy drive also.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:18 am 

doomborn wrote:
peavey bandit...cheap, great clean tone, takes pedals well. peavey classic...great clean tone, but it has a nice, punchy drive also.
My friends Bill and Thurston swear by them, and they both have excellent tone. Nice little combo amp as well. Yes, I will look into this option also.

To further add, I just ran into Bill, strangely, and he said that both he and Thurston do not particularly care for the cleans on the Bandit, they prefer the distortion. Also, it is a 1x12, I am looking for something with at least two speakers in a combo. I am going to look into that lunchbox, but I am also looking into using a Crate Powerblock with a 2x12.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:54 pm 

You'll need a preamp for that Powerblock setup.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:03 pm 

Well, I'd highly recommend an Ampeg VT-22, but it's tube and a 1x12 setup, so I guess that's out. But seriously, you should check it out. Usually pretty reasonable for a tube amp, and as reliable as it gets for a tube amp. Should be pretty bullet-proof, and it will keep up with a Twin, volume-wise. 100 loud watts. Acoustic might be one to look for in the SS dept as well as the already mentioned Peavey and Sunn stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:27 am 

Tried a VT-22. Nice enough tone, it worked for the Rolling Stones, but very heavy, very bulky, and not what I am looking for, as I do not want a generic tube tone. I want something that I can really get a unique tone out of. I am still thinking the Roland.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:21 pm 

Try one of these. I had one of these Randalls back in the day and it was pretty fukin loud. The distortion/gain/saturation side sucked, but the clean was good.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]