Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Reliability factor on a couple cheap amps.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:57 pm 

Watsup yall. So I'm saving right now to get my first serious rig. A couple amps I'm considering are a laney aor head, a peavey mark bass head, and a sovtek mig. Basically I need a cheap powerful head that can compete with a band in a live and rehearsal setting. I was wondering whether any of you guys have any experience with these amps and know whether they're reliable and sound good. I'm only looking to spend 500 or less for the head so if these are likely to break or sound terrible feel free to recommend something else in the price range.

Post subject: Re: Reliability factor on a couple cheap amps.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:52 am 

The AOR is a nice choice but expensive to fix if it breaks down. Steer clear of the 50 watt model as it just doesn't cut it volume wise.

MIGs are notorious for being unreliable until it goes to a tech who can sew up all the loose ends.

Truth be told, there are tons of amps out there that will cut the mustard for $500 or less.
I suggest the following:

Peavey: Butcher, MACE, Roadmaster, Triumph, Classic VT.

Traynor: YBA1 or YGL1, YBA3 or YGL3, avoid any of the new models, haven't heard good things about them.

AIMS: pre Randall amps that are beasts if you can find one. Google search it for more info...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:25 am 

I had an AOR and didn't like it's gain tone but if you will be running a distortion pedal into it that doesn't really matter.

Don't overlook Laney's GH amps, the 50 watter goes for around $300 used on ebay in the US and is plenty loud.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:10 pm 

Peavey Butchers are a favourite of mine. Real workhorse amp, great tone. Very reliable for a tube amp. Peavey also makes excellent solid state amps, the ones from the late 70's and early 80's sound great. I have often used a solid state bass head for guitar, the Peaveys are incredible for that. Great tone and a lot of versatility. Crate also makes great amps. The Blue Voodoo has always been a favourite of mine, but their solid state amps are also excellent.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:54 am 

I agree with Dinger, the Butcher is a serious beasty of an amp. Fixed bias, it's cold, but you can just jam any set of 6l6GCs in there, and be on your way. They're built like brick shithouses. They're also my favourites.

A couple others I really like are those Musicman HD-130s. The heads are bonkers, combos are great if you like that type of thing. Combos scare me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:26 pm 

I prefer combos. I like guitar heads for bass guitar.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:03 pm 

liquidsmoke wrote:
I had an AOR and didn't like it's gain tone but if you will be running a distortion pedal into it that doesn't really matter.

Don't overlook Laney's GH amps, the 50 watter goes for around $300 used on ebay in the US and is plenty loud.

I got my Gh50l for 350 on ebay. Best 350 dollars I've ever spent. The 100 watters go for 400 450 used. Awesome amps. I've never been impressed by Sovteks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:22 pm 

I like the Sovteks, they sound like a cross between a JCM and a Bassman to my ears.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:27 pm 

Thanks guys. This gives me a lot to go by. So as for the laney aor, if I invest in getting it looked over will it be reliable? I wouldn't mind paying a little more to have it fixed as long as it wasn't prone to breaking down. Also I've seen a couple different versions of the peavey butcher floating around craigslist and ebay. What model should I be looking for?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:53 pm 

So I made my decision. I'll be buying a peavey butcher off of craigslist this weekend for 300 dollars. Seems like a good deal for me. The guy says he's got a receipt from an amp tech that says it was just serviced recently. Says it had the pre amp tubes replaced, the hum balance settings adjusted, new filter caps, and all contacts cleaned. I don't know what exactly that all means but new tubes and a fresh set up sound like a great deal for 300 bucks. I'm very excited as this will be my first amplifier that isn't a ss combo piece of trash.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:14 pm 

Enjoy it, man!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:17 pm 

toketillbroke wrote:
So I made my decision. I'll be buying a peavey butcher off of craigslist this weekend for 300 dollars. Seems like a good deal for me. The guy says he's got a receipt from an amp tech that says it was just serviced recently. Says it had the pre amp tubes replaced, the hum balance settings adjusted, new filter caps, and all contacts cleaned. I don't know what exactly that all means but new tubes and a fresh set up sound like a great deal for 300 bucks. I'm very excited as this will be my first amplifier that isn't a ss combo piece of trash.

If you have any SS combo pieces of trash for sale, let me know, I'll take them off your hands.

I was here, but I dis-appare. You can get it if you really want, but you must try, try and try, you succeed at last.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]