Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Mother's Music bought by Long and McQuade
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:29 pm 

Probably more for the Canadians here, but i'd only found out about this today--as of May 2, Mother's was bought by L&M. It may seem a tad odd for me to say this seeing as that Mother's was enough of a chain in themselves, but I don't think that L&M owning them is a good idea, since Mother's was a big store that had alot of similarities, but enough differences (and sometimes had things a bit cheaper though usually comparable) to L&M that had distinctly kept me going back to them for certain things. The best and worst aspect of L&M is the professionality--the shirt and tie, but there's always (here at least) been an unshakable stuffiness and sense of total corporatization that has dispensed with any personalized smaller store type of mentality. Mother's is big, but they still had a more relaxed vibe to them (at least here). I've bought plenty of things at L&M and think that there's some good points to what they do, but dunno, I feel like I should be lining up at the trough there, like I should be ordering a Big Mac instead of music gear. I don't like the idea of every major music store carrying the exact same brands and minimizing the avenues of choice....viva la corporatization. I play alot of vintage and hard to find gear, but as far as newer stuff, it's just nicer to have a few more options.

Post subject: Re: Mother's Music bought by Long and McQuade
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:04 pm 

For all their stuffiness, I have never had a problem with L&McQ's customer service. In fact, they've gone above and beyond to help me out on more than one occasion. I definitely agree that this kind of conglomerating can only be a bad thing, though. I order almost all my gear online now, and only go to stores to do research.

Post subject: Re: Mother's Music bought by Long and McQuade
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:28 pm 

I don't know about you guys, but the L&M Ottawa location has really been going downhill over the past 5-6 years. The store is a little out of the way for me and at first we used to make a day of it and go check out all the cool gear at L&M. But now the place is a total mess. None of the guitars or basses are ever set up, and I am not looking for something to be perfectly set up but this stuff is not even playable. Auditioning an instrument is impossible because the playability is non-existent. Then there is the issue of organization. there is shit everywhere, nothing is organized especially pedals and effects. It's like going through the bargain bin at Giant Tiger. They used to carry some interesting gear back in the day now it doesn't get more interesting than Tech 21 gear. The service is nice and the people are polite but the store is in shambles. I only ever go there as a last resort.

My go to places are now Steve's Music and Spaceman (formerly Songbird) Music.

I will say however that in general the biggest problem I have living here is the string selection. I have yet to find a store that offers a decent selection of strings. Unless you play d'addario forget finding anything else. Thank god for juststrings.com.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]