Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:11 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: Bass gear question
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:26 am 

I know there are some bass players around here and I get tired from Talkbass with most of time bass players who don't know heavy music and especially doom or stoner.
After fooling around with a shitty bass but a semi decent combo I'm now thinking of acquiring a new or used bass to practice some more and save some money to get a decent amp next year or so (being a student sucks...). Ideally, it would be a bass that can last with me for a decent amount of time.
Budget: max 1500 dollars or around 1000 euros (I am euro based by the way).

I was looking at some secondhand Rickenbackers on ebay.com but they are most of the time just above my budget and 1500 dollars is already stretching it...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Bass gear question
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:28 pm 

You could get some really nice gear for that budget.

If you're dead-set on getting a Ric, then you'll probably be paying about that much.

If you could get by with a Fender, a used USA Jazz or P-bass can be had for under $1000 US. Def pay the few extra hundred dollars and get a USA model over the Made in Mexico budget models. You mentioned something that will last, and will also retain value. Both of my gigging USA P-Basses were had for $600 and $800, respectively. Both with case and in damn near mint condition.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:15 am 

I agree with Danny, go with a Fender MIA Jazz or Precision. I just sold my Rickenbacker after having it for 6 years. They have their good and bad points, but their price has inflated a lot over the past 5 years (doubled since I bought mine). A used Fender can be had for a very reasonable price and their quality is outstanding. Assuming you get something you like the look of, that's an instrument you can keep forever and it will serve you well. There are a lot of different sounding and playing instruments out there very different from Fender but if you're already thinking of a Rickenbacker in my experience you can get very close to that sound with a Jazz bass and have a lot more flexibility with your tone and more playing comfort. Precisions have less variety, but they're definitely a good sound and suitable for heavy music.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:08 pm 

And try them w/o being plugged into an amp, first and foremost.

A good bass will SING not even plugged in. I knew I had to have the bass I recently bought before I even had the money for it.

And always try to talk down the price on used gear. Doesn't hurt to ask.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:59 pm 

geddy lee fender jazz. i heart mine.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:07 pm 

Yep, Fender is the way. Precision if you like a wider neck, Jazz if you like a skinny neck. Passive only if you can help it. The older the better, all things being equal. I'm playing a '77 jazz that I bought back in the early 90's for (gasp) $250. There are deals to be had. P-basses are cheaper if you like the wide neck. They also have more mids. Jazz is a little more "scooped" sound. Maple necked ones more so than the Rosewood necks. That's going to apply to any bass though. So if you like grindy, get maple. If you want a little warmer, go Rosewood. If you like super woolly sounds, you could look into a Gibson EB-0 or EB-3. They are cool, and the EB-3 is a bit more versatile, but by and large a one trick pony. A good trick for sure.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:34 pm 

Used USA Fenders of the modern epoch are pretty reasonable, price-wise. Vintage ones (like MysteriousMammal’s) go for used Honda money (been trying to find one of those bad boys for under 2K since I played yers on the Mundell tune).

You’ll often see a Gibson Victory like the one Guy Pinhas plays (two pickup version) on Ebay for not too much money. Snap it up if you can. And the Music Man Stingray is a workhouse that can be found in plentitude, sometimes for not more than a grand (especially the older, one pick up guys).

Not sure if you can find them in Europe, but vintage Acoustic amps are still found on Craigslist here for not all that much and sound bad-ass for solid state. Run the Fender or Gibson into an old RAT pedal into an Acoustic 370 and you’ll sound doom as fuck.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:50 pm 

I have to disagree with the Fender talk. I got a used Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub and it blows every single Fender I have ever tried out of the water. Not even close. They can be had for $700-$800 and by far the best bang for your buck. They play like $3000 basses, sound awesome, especially if you can get one with the Fralin pickups (although you can always get those afterward and I highly recommend it). You could spend $1200 on a new MIA Fender but in my opinion the Lakland is a much better bass. After playing it I can't believe I was ever able to play my Fenders, it is just that good.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:25 am 

There are certain pieces of equipment that seem ubiquitous in the stoner rock scene, but I would advise you to forget any preconceptions you may have about what you SHOULD be playing, and focus on what works for you. Go play a bunch of basses until you find one that you like, and just make sure that whichever one you choose is comfortable to play in all hand positions, sitting or standing.

The advice on Talkbass is the best you're likely to find anywhere on the internet regarding bass, so I wouldn't be so quick to discount it.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:12 am 

I'd agree that getting a specific style or brand isn't so much what's important but rather what feels good to play. My main bass is a Warwick, which isn't that popular in stoner/doom circles, but it works great for me.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:49 pm 

Million Man, I'll keep an eye out for you! Granted, even back in '92 that was an insane deal on my Jazz. My dad has one the same year that he bought new in black - he lets me take it on tour. Some day it will be mine. That's the one that got me hooked on the good shit. It's what I learned on. You're welcome to play mine any time you can get Ed back in the studio! Sounds like he's been busy with 9 Chambers. Hopefully I'll see you around soon. Give me a call if you're in the neighborhood if you want to stop by the studio, I may just be there!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:44 pm 

Thanks everyone! I've found a Matsumoku 70s Ric in great condition. Picked it up for 400 dollars. Sweet deal.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:57 pm 

Rickenbackers are fun and I've had one for awhile but I honk I'm drifting back to fenders. They don't have that ric tone so you can have more fun with effects.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]