Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 32 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Anyone ever do a recording session via email?
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:13 pm 

We're doing the new Snail album this way since I'm in LA and Mark's in Seattle. We did the last one that way as well. We did the basics here with Me, Marty and Eric, I send him a rough mix, then Mark overdubs his guitar parts and vocals and sends back the Protools file with only his parts in them. I import the session data back into the master session and do the mix. Works great.

There is actually a plugin that I used once that lets you record remotely online. I was recording a voice over for a Japanese video game and the directors were in Japan. They could monitor on their protools system on a duplicate session, and hear what we were recording in real-time. They even could have taken over machine control from me if they wanted. It was crazy! We were commenting back and forth on AIM. Small world now for sure.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:32 pm 

Hey Matt, that's not too different from what I did with those bass, vocal, and guitar parts I recorded at home and sent you for mixing into our Live to Ride track. As long as you have the basic rhythm tracks to work with, I think it's pretty easy nowadays to work over long distances.

I had success once or twice working with strangers on that Indaba music site. One tune in particular I made a drum track in reason that I used to play along with on guitar. I found this cool drummer dude who layed down a great drum track to it, and the digital drums were nixed. That was a pretty straighforward punk rock kinda tune, so I think keeping it simple might be easier, than trying something with a lot of changes.

If any of you guys get something like this going, I would be down to add some guitar noise for psych ambience.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:49 pm 

Yeah, I'm working on the new Vestal Claret record this weekend. Basically all the guests on that are doing it by email...

I was here, but I dis-appare. You can get it if you really want, but you must try, try and try, you succeed at last.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:01 am 

Hey guys, how did this go?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:54 am 

I plan to do this at some point next year, something along the lines of earthless. So I'll lay down the guitar with my friend on the drums then send it to our bass playing friend who lives in Austria. Can't see why it wouldn't work

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:36 am 

As far as I know, "Ayahuasca Dark Trip" members have never met personally, so their albums are yet another proof that kind of recording session works:

http://ayahuascadarktrip.bandcamp.com/

Their first album even reached vinyl:

http://cosmiceyerecords.blogspot.com/20 ... e-001.html

I guess the main problem would be to agree on the artistic direction, as each of us has his own preferences and us humans are not easy to sync.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:09 pm 

Done it once. Moreover - we were improvising the whole track. It was fun. Unfortunately it was never finished as we focused on... something else.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 32 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2