Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: fuzz god
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:10 pm 

I know some people talked about it in the fuzz thread a while ago, but i'm kinda jonsin' to get one. I currently use a zvex mastrotron, and love it, but just lookin for some more fuzz flavor (can never have enough).

A few of you said it was balls w/ humbuckers, which is a concern. Just wanted to get some opinions before I pulled the trigger on it, as it isn't the cheapest fuzz out there.

Post subject: Re: fuzz god
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:12 pm 

The Fuzz God II is great for what it does--smooth silicon fuzz. Lots of low end, sludgy, but like Muff circuits, clarity sometimes becomes an issue....what it yields in low end and heft is sacrificed for treble/ mids. Mind you, my opinion is based on the Fuzz God II....the original germanium one may have more bite/ treble. The oscillation ("Wrath") circuit is cool, but I have limited use for oscillation....if oscillation isn't your thing, essentially you're paying alot for a pedal that a good portion of it's worth is based on the oscillation circuit--something like a Skreddy Lunar Module (in the $200+ dollar range like the FG2 is) has that silicon smoothness, but instead of the oscillation circuit, you get more options to tweak the tone and more clarity. I'd rather personally have tonal options than oscillation, so the FG2 is a bit of a liability to me, as it becomes a bit of a one trick pony. But they're built amazingly well and do punishing low end sludge like no other pedal.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:27 pm 

Ryan Electrocution wrote:
The Fuzz God II is great for what it does--smooth silicon fuzz. Lots of low end, sludgy, but like Muff circuits, clarity sometimes becomes an issue....what it yields in low end and heft is sacrificed for treble/ mids. Mind you, my opinion is based on the Fuzz God II....the original germanium one may have more bite/ treble. The oscillation ("Wrath") circuit is cool, but I have limited use for oscillation....if oscillation isn't your thing, essentially you're paying alot for a pedal that a good portion of it's worth is based on the oscillation circuit--something like a Skreddy Lunar Module (in the $200+ dollar range like the FG2 is) has that silicon smoothness, but instead of the oscillation circuit, you get more options to tweak the tone and more clarity. I'd rather personally have tonal options than oscillation, so the FG2 is a bit of a liability to me, as it becomes a bit of a one trick pony. But they're built amazingly well and do punishing low end sludge like no other pedal.

as usual great insights ryan. I'll check out the skreddy, you make a good point about the oscillators usefulness.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:30 am 

I own a Fuzz God, which is germanium based instead of Silicon, but I agree with what Ryan said point for point. It's pretty good at what it does, but it isn't a very versatile pedal.
While I do enjoy some oscillation occasionally, the amount of noise introduced by the wrath switch renders that trick nearly useless. Also, the Fuzz control seems to have 2 settings...under 2:00, and over. You can set the knob in other positions, but there really is no discernable difference. The sputter effect can be cool (it mimics a dying battery) but it's more of a one song type thing than a regular useful effect.

If you want thick low end, or dig the niche-y sputter tone... you'd dig this pedal. If you want more than 2 tones, look somewhere else.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]