Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:20 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 21 posts ]
 Post subject: overdrive pedals
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:05 pm 

ok, since it can't be fuzz ALL the time (ok, it totally can be, but sometimes i want just good ole OD), I wanted to pick yer brains.

i currently have a maxon 808 in my board, and it kinda isn't doing it for me. Loved it at first, but the honeymoon is over, and I'm kinda tired of it, and I don't really wanna get it keeley moded. I've kinda want a fulltone OCD, but I also haven't looked at many options besides that.

So what OD's are in your boards?

Post subject: Re: overdrive pedals
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:31 pm 

I am using an old Marshall bluesbreaker pedal as a boost, a Dean Markley overlord OD as fuxx and a Blackstar HT Dist-X for most other stuff.

The Dean overlord is a great pedal, not sure how easy they are to pick up though - but will happily recommend one - runs a single 12AX7 tube in it. It is meant to be an OD pedal, but it can honestly pull off a half decent fuzz if you crank it - the vid below gives a pretty good overview of all it can do.

I am currently in the honeymoon period with my Blackstar pedal, really really impressed with it. Not near as much gain as the Dean but a sweet sounding pedal. Very versatile, due to their "ISF" frequency shaper, I tend to have mine set to about 9 o'clock. Further left is meant to be American styke voicing, tightens up the arse end a bit. Seems to be pretty much bombproof, really sturdy thick metal casing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:36 pm 

audiodork wrote:
ok, since it can't be fuzz ALL the time (ok, it totally can be, but sometimes i want just good ole OD), I wanted to pick yer brains.

i currently have a maxon 808 in my board, and it kinda isn't doing it for me. Loved it at first, but the honeymoon is over, and I'm kinda tired of it, and I don't really wanna get it keeley moded. I've kinda want a fulltone OCD, but I also haven't looked at many options besides that.

Are you looking for a pedal to overdrive your amp, or are you looking for a pedal the would make it sound like you're playing through an overdriven amp. Very importan distinction when talking about OD pedals.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:54 pm 

the_brow wrote:
audiodork wrote:

Are you looking for a pedal to overdrive your amp, or are you looking for a pedal the would make it sound like you're playing through an overdriven amp. Very importan distinction when talking about OD pedals.

good question, and sorry for not making it clear. I'm looking for a pedal to overdrive the amp (a laney gh100). most of my gain is going to be coming from the amp itself, i just want a touch more, and why i'm so drawn to the OCD is the clean boost it can give, something to get a little more punch and taste to lead type parts as well as some basic riffs.

Thanks!

That blackstar sounds brutal, but i think is a bit much in terms of what I'm looking for.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:06 pm 

If the Dist X is too much, check out the other blackstar pedals. Have tried the Drive, not tried the Boost but it might be along the lines of what you are after.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:16 pm 

I have had an OCD pedal now for a few weeks, and i love it. I would also suggest the Cusack Screamer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:46 pm 

Check out the Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop. Our guitarist uses to push his Peavey Butcher and it just screams.

http://www.fairfieldcircuitry.com/B.html

We record all of our rehersals and you can hear it on almost all of the recordings here

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=954486

The amp is set to a mild overdrive, the Barbershops pushes into full blown rage...

I have an OCD (use it on bass) and it can do the whole boost thing fairly well and it's own pedal distortion is very tube amp like, however the version I have, V3, has a very significant mid boost and its definetly not transparent. It will add its character all over your tone. Not saying its a bad thing, but if you like to keep your own tone intact its probably not the pedal for you. The barbershop on the other hand is very transparent.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:14 pm 

lots of good ideas, as usual. that barbershop sounds awesome, like you said, very transparent. i'm gonna have to try out the other blackstars, as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:06 pm 

I use a DIY Keeley modded Boss Blues Driver. For my use sounds better than any other pedal I've tried or built.

I run my JCM800 2203 loud and clean and use the pedal for dirt. Actually sounds kinda like the Marshall dimed, but I have (way) more control over my stage volume. Much to the pleasure of soundmen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:02 am 

I use the Zvex Box of Rock, it goes from overdrive to light distortion. I guess it's a bit like a jcm800 in a pedal. It also has a separately foot-switchable boost which is great.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:18 pm 

Volume wrote:
I use the Zvex Box of Rock, it goes from overdrive to light distortion. I guess it's a bit like a jcm800 in a pedal. It also has a separately foot-switchable boost which is great.

Love Zvex, currently use their mastroton as my main fuzz.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:44 pm 

Catalinbread SCOD... Great pedal.
http://www.catalinbread.com/SuperChargedOD.html

Dirty Little Secret... also a great pedal.
http://www.catalinbread.com/DLS.html

Revebnation
LastFM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:49 pm 

I've used and have sold quite a few, but these are the ones that I have now: Fuchs Valve Job, Vox V810 Valve Overdrive, Ibanez TS-10 (modified). I have a modified Blues Driver that's not on the board that sounds really good, too. The key to a really good overdrive, I think, is an LED in the clipping circuit--it gives you way more unity gain, and you lose a bit of compression at the expense of a more fuller sound....if you can modify your own pedals, try putting an LED in the clipping circuit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:52 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:40 pm 

mortlock wrote:

Haha, FTW!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:42 pm 

Ryan Electrocution wrote:
I've used and have sold quite a few, but these are the ones that I have now: Fuchs Valve Job, Vox V810 Valve Overdrive, Ibanez TS-10 (modified). I have a modified Blues Driver that's not on the board that sounds really good, too. The key to a really good overdrive, I think, is an LED in the clipping circuit--it gives you way more unity gain, and you lose a bit of compression at the expense of a more fuller sound....if you can modify your own pedals, try putting an LED in the clipping circuit.

How do you like the Fuchs? I've had a hard on for his stuff for a while, but I feel like I'd like it less in practice than I romanticize his gear. Maybe it's just because I live in the same town as his labs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:22 pm 

audiodork wrote:
Ryan Electrocution wrote:

How do you like the Fuchs? I've had a hard on for his stuff for a while, but I feel like I'd like it less in practice than I romanticize his gear. Maybe it's just because I live in the same town as his labs.

Love it! It's usually my go to overdrive. It doesn't have the mid-hump that a Tube Screamer has (or TS circuit variants....most modern overdrives are a Tube Screamer variant), and it has a nice smooth sound. The only drawbacks are that you can't swap out the tube (they really, really soldered it to the board so that you can't change it...but it's a Ruby tube) and as it doesn't have the mid hump, some may think that it sounds a tad too dark--it is somewhat dark sounding. The "touch" knob is a nice feature, as it's basically an attack knob to give a sharper attack on notes. It has a woolier overdrive than a TS circuit, so it has more bass, but it would also be nice if it had a bit more gain on tap. But it's a nice departure from TS based pedals, so it's something that's definetely worth looking into if the TS type pedals ain't one's thing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:47 am 

I ended up landing on a first version OCD and thus far have a gear boner for it. Thanks for all the input guys!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:17 pm 

I've got a stock Boss Blues Driver. I'm not super pleased with it, depends on some days.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:07 pm 

Johnny Problem wrote:
I've got a stock Boss Blues Driver. I'm not super pleased with it, depends on some days.

The BD-2 is pretty good in stock form, but it really opens up with a few mods (assymetrical clipping; LED's as clipping diodes). It's still inherently bright---I usually have to roll off the tone almost completely--but I like that it's a bit more woolier and extreme on the gain than a TS based pedal, if one needs the option. I'd done one of Keeley's fuzz mods on it (on a toggle switch) and it sounds pretty cool that way, too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:32 pm 

I purchased an EQD Monarch OD for about $110 the other day. It's supposed to emulate an OR120/OD120. Should get it in by tomorrow or Wednesday.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 21 posts ]