Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:34 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Solid bass amp for doom
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:55 pm 

I began playing bass a few years ago. I play a standard Mexican J-Bass and use just a regular Peavey Max 115 Combo for practice with my band. I'm looking to step it up but I don't have the funds to go over the top. I just want something good to keep up with the band. I'm thinking a powerful combo amp or MAYBE even a cheaper/smaller cab and head, but I want something that has a nice sound for the doom rock genre. Preferably I don't want to go on a hunt on Craigslist to track down a vintage Sunn or something like that, but what is the step below?

Is there a good Ampeg I should check out? Laney?

I'm a little bit of a noob when it comes to a lot of gear but do know my way around a bit.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Solid bass amp for doom
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:25 pm 

i picked up a mid 70's acoustic which is 200watts (unbelievably loud for a 200 watt amp, i havent had to turn the volume past 2 1/2 since i got it) for dirt cheap ($150) and love it

tonally it covers everything from huge doomy riffage to classic rock bass tones to poppy

i played an ampeg, which was solid state, for years and was never really happy with its sound

also played thru a 350 watt GK for a bit which was awesome

the only other amp i have played thru was dr zayus' sound city, which sounded pretty killer as well, also was the only tube bass amp ive ever played, from what i understand they can be found for between 500-1000 bucks depending on wear and tear and wattage.... may be a good alternative to an ampeg given the cost of a new one

thats my 2 cents.... hope it helps

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:05 pm 

James1214 wrote:
i picked up a mid 70's acoustic which is 200watts (unbelievably loud for a 200 watt amp, i havent had to turn the volume past 2 1/2 since i got it) for dirt cheap ($150) and love it

tonally it covers everything from huge doomy riffage to classic rock bass tones to poppy

i played an ampeg, which was solid state, for years and was never really happy with its sound

also played thru a 350 watt GK for a bit which was awesome

the only other amp i have played thru was dr zayus' sound city, which sounded pretty killer as well, also was the only tube bass amp ive ever played, from what i understand they can be found for between 500-1000 bucks depending on wear and tear and wattage.... may be a good alternative to an ampeg given the cost of a new one

thats my 2 cents.... hope it helps

Yea the 350W GK is a good rig that my guitarist has in his jam room. A tube amp sounds too expensive, but I was thinking of something along these lines.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ampeg-BA115 ... 1145649.gc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:55 pm 

i like my ampeg 410. i have a peavey mark VI head as well..im happy with what i get out of it for what it is.. its got some serious durability, i can say that much. all the power you want is there too..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:01 am 

Personally I think that Ampeg BA115 is a piece if junk! I had one a few years ago and hated it! It never got loud enough for gigs or practice. So ultimately what purpose did it serve! Just because it says Ampeg doesn't mean it is good.

I second the Acoustic vote. I have a 1970's head and cab that i bought for $200 bucks. Great deal all around. I also recommend checking out Kustom as well. Don't be afraid to look into the new gear from these companies which is accessible at your local Guitar Center. If you are a budget, this is a great place to start.

Otherwise, you will be Craigslist fishing or bidding on Ebay. Doom rigs are not manufactured geared toward that style of music, most of the equipment guys use for it is just old, musty smelling, and sweet sounding. I used a Behringer head and a beat up Carvin 115 cab for a Doom style band for 4 years($250 head and a free cab) because of a low budget. Research what people are playing because everybody in this genre makes what they play pretty available to see.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:16 am 

you can always get a decent SS amp, and invest some cash in a tube pre or compressor to warm up the sound going into the amp. that's a money friendly compromise.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:37 pm 

I'd go with a head/cab because then the rig can grow with you. You can add a cabinet later as funds allow if you get a head with enough power. 70's Acoustic head are usually good deals for the power they put out. Anything new is not going to get you what you want for the low budget that you have. Buy used. Old 80's GK 200RB or 400RB heads are probably dirt cheap now because they're out of fashion. They're rock solid, but you'll need a pedal for overdrive. Old Ampeg B4's can be found cheap sometimes and they're tube. Peavey Mark III heads are decent for cheap. See if you can find an old Peavey 2x15 cabinet, those put out the volume and are usually cheap. A really good deal on a cabinet, and this sounds stupid for doom, but trust me- an SWR Henry the 8x8. You can find them used really cheap because they look like a funk treble freak cabinet and that's out of style now, but they actually sound like a mini SVT cabinet with a nice midrange. Just turn off the tweeter. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:28 pm 

Sunn Coliseum, 300 watts for $300! Can't really beat that.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ms ... 03793.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:41 pm 

Yea, ill save up some funds and when I have a good amount i'll do some Craigslist hunting. That seems to be the best thing to do.

Thanks everyone for your input!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:53 pm 

A Traynor Monoblock is also a great SS head from the 70s. They can be found for less than $300 on craigslist, ebay etc. Great tone, tons of volume and reliable. Match it up with a Peavey bass cab which can also be found for fairly cheap and you can get yourself a decent setup.

Sometimes you can get lucky and find an old GK800RB, a little more expensive but those are great heads.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:00 pm 

Can never go wrong with an Acoustic 270 or an SVT with an 8x10. Theres a reason they're staples now a days.

http://www.myspace.com/lowgravity303

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:23 pm 

What's your price range? I picked up an Orange Terror Bass for under $600 that has been a godsend for shows. I still rely on my Sunn 300T for more serious things though.

I can dial in a pretty doomy sound with the Orange but a full tube setup is what you're looking for.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]