Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:56 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Skanska Mord - The Last Supper
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:23 pm 

When the first note of Skånska Mord forced itself into my skull at 6:45 a.m. I knew that I didn’t have a choice. They already had my head bobbing, my lungs burning, and my soul soaring. Formed from the remains of Half Man and Mothercake, these guys have constructed an impressive first effort.

A beast stomping through the darkest wood best describes the first track. “Under the Volcano”. The notes are thick, tuned down and spaced in such a way that Janne Bengtsson rips through your merciful ears with a voice that Chris Cornell can only truly appreciate. Add in the fact that I imagine him positioned into a semi-fetal position in the vain of Joe Cocker, straining and pleading his lyrics, and you have a knockout for the first track.

“Things are Quiet Out There” sneaks up with a vengeance and the evidence of Sabbath-inspired-blues reveal themselves. Sleepy bass with moments of the sweetest, weepiest guitar move through this track and carries itself into the next song, “Doghouse”.

“The Journey” lives up to its name and you feel like you’re on a carriage being manned by Ozzy (circa 1970s) and driven by a band of acid enriched horses. Not trippy. Just a little unpredictable in all the right ways. Thick, charming, and full of doom.

“Two in the morning” and “Daybreak” start with a harmonica frenzy, then slip back into the sludge. Particularly on “Daybreak” do we hear the boys from Sweden methodically move through the slumber of doom.

“111” comes straight from the vaults of Clutch. A foot tappin mix of southern rock with the “preacher-style” singing of Neil Fallon. Sticking with the preacher idea, “The Hermit” sets the band in an abandoned cathedral with a grinding pace and an organ sound that makes you want to repent. This song crawls along the pews and demands you to bow your head and listen.

The album finishes with the 9 minute title track. Like most songs on this album, a journey is going to ensue. The song ebbs and flows from hard driven doom to a hippie induced strum along. The middle of the song lives up to the banner of stoner rock, with an impressive jam session.

Small Stone Recording have a slew of talented bands, and their addition of Skånska Mord only solidifies the labels efforts. This album moves along the edges of a windy dirt road that snakes its way through the darkest corners of the forest. Effortlessly moving forward, but with a constant gaze of what has been.

- Mood:Doom

November 12th, 2010
http://thesodashop.wordpress.com/2010/1 ... st-supper/

Post subject: Re: Skanska Mord - The Last Supper
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:23 pm 

I may be in the minority here, but I could not get into this. Even after repeated listens. The music was top notch, but the singing irritated me, like none other.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:53 pm 

willb wrote:
I may be in the minority here, but I could not get into this. Even after repeated listens. The music was top notch, but the singing irritated me, like none other.

I liked it. I found it to be a mix of Ted Nugent and, oh I couldn't figure out the other part. I listened to it a lot upon first release. Of course with all the money I was making in overtime went towards other albums so it didn't stick with me for long but it stuck out to me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:15 pm 

willb wrote:

I'm very picky about vocals, but I enjoy Skånska Mord. Another band I like with unique vocals is Dead Man.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:28 am 

One of my favorites of 2010 (although it was already available in late 2009). I think the singer is great, very close to Cornell, but great, and the playing/songwriting excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:45 am 

cheesesoda wrote:
willb wrote:

I'm very picky about vocals, but I enjoy Skånska Mord. Another band I like with unique vocals is Dead Man.

I love Dead Man vocals. Maybe it's time I give Skanska another listen.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:03 am 

This one really sneaked up on me.
My first listen left me a little wishy-washy but on repeated listens it really started to sink in and became one of my favorite albums over the last year.
I'm really interested in hearing what these cats might come up with next.
I actually like dudes voice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:56 am 

Hahaha..as I figured, I'm in the minority, when it comes to the singing. But by the end of the day this may change. I'll give it it's due again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:57 pm 

Give it another spin Willb... It is a good one, vox and all....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:34 pm 

This is for sure next on my list. What I have heard, I have really liked. I think they sound like old Scorps.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:22 am 

willb wrote:

The singer sounds like Chris Cornell. What's not to like? Great album.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]