Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Ampacity - Encounter One
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:04 am 

Hello, I’d like to introduce you to my recent discovery a band that grew up just under my nose with me not being aware of it till last Friday. Ladies and gents…space/stoner/prog/hard rock band from Tricity, Poland…Ampacity with their first album “Encounter One”.

First of all, I usually do not write album reviews. Still, after being on a release party last Friday I felt obliged to write a few words about Ampacity and show them to the wider audience. Writing about music is in my opinion as accurate as dancing about mathematics, so feel free to skip this rough in describing review and jump to the end of the post where links to bandcamp are situated with whole reviewed album and a bit of other tracks.

“Encounter One” may be the first album of Ampacity, but the musicians being a part of this band certainly aren’t new to the business. Some of them were a part of a project “Broken Betty” that with their last EP “Original Features” was well received last year and was a sign of good things to come. One of theirs most noticeable live shows was supporting Weedeater in Warsaw during last summer.

“Encounter One” consists of 3 tracks - over 40 minutes of music. First of them, “Ultima Hombre” instantly caught my attention with great delayed and distorted guitar intro changing into gallop of all the instruments that the band could throw at the listener, guitars, bass, drums and synthesizer. “Asimov’s Sideburns” on the other hand offers a soothing melody, changing suddenly into a wall of aggressive guitars, certainly the heaviest part of the album. Last but not least is “Masters of the Earth” the only track to feature vocals. The title might be a hint at who was one of the main inspirations both in terms of music and theme. Still I’m far from calling them copycats both in case of this track and on the whole album. The last piece can be divided into 2 parts, first featuring vocals with recognizable text, the other one with vocal effects reminding me of a “Child in Time” but slower, delayed and more blurry.

To sum it up, I’d strongly recommend this album to all Hawkwind fans and others searching for some space tunes. The whole album is uploaded on the bandcamp so it won’t cost you a thing to give them a try to please Your ears.

http://ampacity.bandcamp.com/
http://brokenbetty.bandcamp.com/album/original-features

Post subject: Re: Ampacity - Encounter One
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:42 am 

Nice - seems like the first one is very space rock and the latter ones are more hard/progressive rock. Thanks!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]