Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:12 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Giant Brain - throne of thornes
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:38 pm 

Giant Brain
throne of thornes
Small Stone Records

OK, Small Stone is my favorite rec. label, ergo I get dumb for the raft load of rock they float down the river every year. That’s fan boy gurgle, but this one has got that outside/inside appeal that generally doesn’t get tagged as “rock” standard. Whirring circular rhythms soundin’ local in Germany in the early 70’s at a Faust or Can show, and guitar warmth/groove with “classic rock” stroll roots, abstracting the best tones and chords to make really great, “ rollin’ down the Autobahn/ I-94”, road music. They dip some classic tremoloe’d chill out tunes like “sleepwalk” and burble noise interludes too. I dunno how much the ass end is programmed etc., but this stuff has pan genre appeal; their bong can be hit loaded with Stoner, Indie Space and Psyche weed and the highness shall provide a positively wiggly cruising ’ in yr space buggy ride.

And it don’t mean a thing if it don’t have that swing,- which is graciously spread before you,- you’d be a real stupe not lay on the couch eating grapes watching the Discovery channels flying an’ diving’ special on slo-mo. Really; watch an Egret hit the water at 25 mph, (slowed to one tenth speed), sinking fifteen feet -disappearing/reappearing in a corona of bubbles, glittering fish in the beak and let the “ohh-ah!” wonder slide over yr mind. Just be cool and tell these guys how great it is they laid out the perfect sound track. Ya’ know it can’t cost much more than a couple weeks salary to get’m to set up in yr living room for five hours,( hey it’s yr house), set the Tevo on the animal stuff and lay on the floor and soak it all in.

At times Giant Brain touch the airier Monster Magnet psyche-pop, then go swirling thru the 90’s Too Pure label stuff, (Th’ Faithhealers, Moonshake piss in the same pot), and yep, Kraut rock of various strains, (Guru Guru fer sure) and what ever electronica a Sabbath fan might dig. Giant Brains post-ambient/trance swell washes up on the shores of the “hearts of space” with enough twirl for our favorite Siamese twins to dance to a bunch of it ….and then here comes the guitar…I bet this guy likes Foghat! The warmth and the general, “hey c’mere have a beer to wash down that LSD /Xanax thingie yr girl just gave you”, feel of the whole thing makes me hope there’s a couple hundred thousand, “free yr mind and yr ass will wallow” groovers out there.

Fuck; why not ? Fun matters, getting out of yr head matters, feeling human matters…if not, get outta the gene pool, yr holdin’ us back. Smoosh it into the iPod with Cul-de-Sac, Kinski, Neu, Fuzzhead, Farflung, Miles Davis, Perplexa , Mogwai, The Orb, Can, O-rang, Syd’s Pink Floyd, Vocokesh and Queens of the Stoneage.
Shake hands @ www.smalllstone.com and Myspace.

Post subject: Re: Giant Brain - throne of thornes
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:01 pm 

Very nice record for sure and one I like listening to best on a cold day as I drive to work.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]