Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: The Ultra Electric Mega Galactic
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:52 pm 

The lineup is stellar. Ed Mundell, Collyn McCoy, and Rick Ferrante all have displayed their talents in other notable projects (TAB, Monster Magnet, Otep, Trash Titan, Sasquatch), but we all know that a a movie with too many stars in it usually sucks, unless Altman is involved. The good news is that this is a band that is BETTER than the sum of its parts. I had the privilege of witnessing this LP being laid down, and the band should have provided me with a bib and mop, because often after a 14 minute jam without a single bad note, I was left with mouth agape and drool on the floor.

Here's the lowdown:

If The Band of Gypsies was a cop show in space, The Ultra Electric MG would perform the theme music, space-chase scenes and be the house band at the strip club where the Huggie-Bear character liked to hang out. Robin Trower, Tommy Bolin (still living in this dimension) and Hawkwind would make guest appearances. Julie from the Love Boat would have sex with Tattoo from Fantasy Island while bathed in blacklight listening to Indian Ragas. And then, it would start to get weird.

Harlan Ellison would write an episode containing a space-whale hunting a deep-water submarine crew on acid. The captain of that submarine would be a purple Sasquatch who was also a double-agent for the space-whale planet. And just when you think they're all goners, in rides Jaco on a giant black seahorse and slays the whale with a harpoon fired from his bass all the while playing the fuzziest, nastiest bass solo of all time.

It's kinda like that. Only you can listen to it.

Post subject: Re: The Ultra Electric Mega Galactic
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:22 pm 

damn. that review not only made me want to listen to this, it made me want to get high, really fuckin high, while doing so.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:09 pm 

Well there's no way to top mysteriousmammal's review so I won't even try. But I got my copy yesterday and it's been repeating since. WOW... this trio is on fire. I've never been able to help the comparison I render to The Atomic Bitchwax's first two albums, there are parallels. Power trio, unhinged busy playing, instrumental (well half of Bitchwax's songs anyway), Mr. Mundell, and his same signature style of galactic space rock. But damn if the self-titled Ultra Electric Mega Galactic album doesn't traverse even deeper into the cosmos. It really felt like Mundell's Bitchwax albums allowed him the vent he couldn't or didn't have in Monster Magnet (but I'm very happy he's now an LA native having left Jersey). I'm not familiar with Collyn's other band Trash Titan, but jesus christ is he an unbelievable bass player (as was Chris Kosnik). Nor do I know particularly well Rick's other band Sasquatch (some songs yes), but his drumming here is aces. These three have crafted, though we're three years into it, a definitive space rock album for the 2nd decade of the 21st century. Couldn't be more strongly recommended for fans of this stuff. The best stuff...

Addendum:
Had to add that this ridiculously good band makes a complete fanboy sucker out of me. Not only is the music "all that" and more, but right down the artwork package: a painting of a deep-space ship coming through some type of portal or explosion with gargantuan chunks of debris ripping asunder behind it (the piece is titled "Space Wreck", so the band said on their Facebook page, and I mistakenly thought was the album name too). Even the 70's-era futuristic font choice for the songlisting on the back- I LOVE all that shit. Basically the entire UEMG experience keeps hammering relentlessly on all the open pleasure receptors in my brain... Thanks a lot UEMG! Why don't you give me a fucking minute to catch my breath!! Christ almighty!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:28 pm 

I've been waiting for a proper audio release since filming the first ever UEMG show here in NJ, which I have often re-visited as the years have passed.

A strong, well executed record which leaves me wanting more. Let's not wait too long to release some more tunes, huh fellas?

I wish Ed was still here in Jersey....

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]