Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Nightstalker- Dead Rock Commandos
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:22 pm 

Nightstalker- Dead Rock CommandosSmall Stone.

In the old days a wondewrful lad tagged Regular Paul hit me with some great stuff from his native land, (Greece), after I mentioned really liking a Yell-O-Yell or Last Drive rec. or some such other cool thing I was sellin' ar the record store in '88.

Well he sent me ALL of it and "IT" included the Nightstalker stuff. Prime stuff that it is too. Rock writ as rock, no hyphens- no pretense to anything else. The closest comparison is Monster Magnet but I doubt eitehr one of'm' was aware of the other when they both started stirring steel toe biker boot Steppenwolfisms into a more viciously cut swirl. Here they mirror "the regressive rock" white panther Detroitist kick-ass honed by Mighty High and explored by other circling the Ripple rabble.

So what you say?. I know,- and what I know is this particular unit has the touch when it comes to tunes. And this is rock/and or/roll-which demands a tune to hang your hoodie on, ok? THEREFORE you can place this in a context where "rock" is the "folk' or "ethnic" soul food for a buncha people-like the whole "Americana" thing,- it can't be judged as "current" or not as its now fer good 'er bad an approach/form. Only good or bad.

And its good. It never seems consciously retro- or focused on some sorta historical right or wrong, (something that fucked much of the garage rock thing in the '90's). It just is what it is. So yeah it's gonna be one of my most palyed disks along with the new Muni-Waste one and Alestorm. Man how did I miss the whole pirate metal thing? Dumb.

Nightstalker- Dead Rock Commandos--mix with Monster Magnet, Brain Police, Uriah Heep, DC3, Dick Destiny and the Highway Kings, Mighty High, Motorhead, Mos Generator, hel leven Litmus-there's definitely some Pink'Wind influence here.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]