Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Magnus Pelander - Magnus Pelander
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:22 am 

Magnus Pelander - Magnus Pelander
Svart Records
Release date: 2010

You would think that fronting Witchcraft, one of the more successful hard rock outfits to claw its way out of the underground, would offer enough avenues for creativity. "Sounds like Witchcraft" is almost as common in reviews now as "sounds like Kyuss" was five years ago (what can I say, we`re a lazy bunch). But apparently that`s not the case for vocalist/guitarist/creative mastermind Magnus Pelander, as here`s his first solo venture.

Given how much Pelander has invested in Witchcraft, it`s not a stretch to think of the obviously titled Magnus Pelander as "The Folksy Side of Witchcraft." In each of the four songs, there`s more than a hint of what makes the retro doom act tick - especially "You Have Got No Friends to Turn To," which could`ve/should`ve been on The Alchemist. The easiest (but not necessarily best) way of putting it would that with his day job band, the focus leans more towards Pentagram, whereas on "A Sinner`s Child," "Hope," and "Stardust," Pelander`s love of `60`s psychedelic folk has more room to shine.

That`s all good and fine, but does that make Magnus Pelander any good? "You Have Got No Friends to Turn To" is easily the strongest of the lot, but it`s also the one track that`s not much of a creative stretch. The others have their charm as well, although I can`t help but balk at the whistling bit in "A Sinner`s Child" and the melodramatic flourishes in "Stardust." So yes, Magnus Pelander is a solid offering and comes recommended. But when compared to Pelander`s more established band, this too sounds like Witchcraft, so I wouldn`t approach this expecting the unexpected.

Post subject: Re: Magnus Pelander - Magnus Pelander
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:03 am 

I like it. In one of the Witchcraft threads at sr.com Magnus mentioned he's working on the debut full-length album. To me that's great news can't wait.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]