Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Horn of the Rhino - Grengus
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:41 am 

Grengus is the fourth album from Horn of the Rhino, a doom/sludge/thrash metal band from Spain. I've been hooked since their debut, Breed the Chosen One, when they were known simply as "Rhino." Each album that has followed, Dead Throne Monarch (again as "Rhino") and then Weight of Coronation (their first as "Horn . . ."), has been excellent. I reach for all of them consistently. But fuck if Grengus is not a leap forward for this group. No radical change in sound, style, or concept, but rather a refinement. One that should get this band some long overdue and well-deserved attention.

I bought the cd directly from Doomentia, out of the Czech Republic. Not sure who else distributes it, but I've purchased from Doomentia before without any issues.

If you are not familiar with Horn of the Rhino, you should check them out. Grengus is a fine place to start.

Post subject: Re: Horn of the Rhino - Grengus
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:56 am 

Cool band, but not enough of his soul singing on this album. There's a lot of people who can growl as well as this guy, but his clean singing voice is so rare and so powerful. He should be using that more often.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:21 pm 

Cool! I have "Dead Throne..." and its pretty strong. Glad to know they're still doin' it. Gotta say whoever recored it did a great job. Really live "wet" sweaty sound. Yeah I like it too when he sings straight up. The Sabbath in Chains of , "promise of storm" is the kinda thing that plays on my mythical Sirius, "We're Rockin' Now Ain't we ?" Station.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:37 pm 

I have been playing Weight of Coronation for much of this year and loved it. This release actually passed me by. I'll be picking it up for sure.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]