Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Orange Goblin - Eulogy for the damned
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:50 pm 

No thread yet?

I'll preface this mini-review with the disclaimer that I've only listened to this once, at moderate volume, while cooking dinner...

...but wow, what a disappointment!
Got a ticket to see them in a few weeks and thought I'd check out the new one with a view to buying it at the gig, and I'm glad I went to the trouble of the cheeky download.

The first half of the album is like OG decided to finally come out of the closet and indulge all their corny 'old-man metal' urges, sounds like some trad reunion tour nwobhm band or summat.

Then they totally lost me with the classic rock ballad (Save Me From Myself) in the middle of the album. Really terrible. I nearly gave up on it and purged the whole mess from my laptop at that point, but fortunately I was halfway through rinsing some rice and had wet hands.

The second half of the album really picks up, proper OG riffs, nice bit of menace, good hooks... what you'd expect from this mob. Doesn't quite redeem the terrible fifth track but I was in a much more positive mood about the album, thinking maybe I need to go back to the first four tracks and give them another listen.

Then they end it with another slow-burning stinker.

First impressions?
5/10, and that's from a die hard fan who loves all their other albums (well, not so keen on Thieving...)

Scored on the basis that it's got 4 good songs, 4 so-so but not as good as you'd expect, and two that I'd happily never hear again.

We'll see how it comes across live soon :-)
(hope they play the old stuff)

Post subject: Re: Orange Goblin - Eulogy for the damned
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:09 pm 

I thought the same initially, but I've stuck with it and it's really good. A solid 7.5/10. Give it about a dozen listens.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:49 am 

I'm totally lovin' this album now! Aside from a couple songs, I loved it from the start! "Red Tide Rising" is truly an amazing opener! I know it was released a while back. I permitted myself to listen to it once, then wait for th CD as a whole. I will admit, I didn't get into the "Classic Rock" style songs ("Save Me From Myself" and "Stand For Something") at first. But now they are of my favorites. There were a few songs off THG like that. Of course, me being over 40 might put me in the "Old Man" rock category? Ha. But I still a lot of extreme metal bands and I can still get it up without the help of supplements! He-he. It seems to me that this is a carreer-spanning release for them. There is at least one song off this that would be right at home on each of their other albums. I would encourage you to give it a little time. I believe it will come around for you if you like everything else they've done? This and the new COC have been dominating my Ipod. Favorite songs are "Save Me From Myself", "The Fog", "Death Of Aquarius", "Return To Mars" (just wish it was a minute and a half longer!) and the title track! Hell, I could really add the rest of the album to that list. Great muscicianship and Ben's singing is better than ever!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:47 pm 

First few listens didn't do much for me either but gradually it started clicking. Really like it now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:00 am 

Second go, made an executive decision to skip 'Stand for something' and 'save me from myself' and we're doing much better...

Definitely picks up from 'The Fog' though, perhaps just because I read a terrible pulp horror by the same name recently.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:11 am 

Similar experience here. First listen was a quick abort, then week or so later tried again and bingo! it hit me right. Not top-whatever for me for 2012, but definitely a solid slab of rawk.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:27 am 

One of their more consistant albums after a few below par ones, this one comes firing out of the blocks from the off. Again, I'm over 40 so maybe I dig the more classic rock stylings in this album. Still sounds dirty as hell live, saw them twice in Belfast as they opened up their touring to go pro at last. Didn't expect 2 gigs so soon in my home town, both well attended and some glorious back catologue tunes wheeled out too.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]