Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Dwellers- Good Morning Harakiri
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:04 pm 

From Broken Beard

Well, it turns out that Peace, and Other Horrors, the four-song EP Dwellers put out last year, was an experimental little project because there’s not much folksy, acoustic Americana Gothic to be found on their debut full-length, Good Morning Harakiri. Although, to be fair, Good Morning Harakiri does contain a good deal of slide guitar, but it’s used as a vehicle for delivering some grungy psych-blues instead. I suppose the idea behind this one is that the six songs included here are the musical equivalent of splitting yourself open and spilling your guts all over the place, and if that’s the case, this Salt Lake City trio (comprised of Iota and Subrosa members) has made one fine mess. While it is atmospheric, exotic, and trippy at times, Good Morning Harakiri is, ultimately, blessedly doomed, absolutely heavy, and full of Southern-fried muscle, and if Gideon Smith was to ever rip through a set of songs from Soundgarden’s Ultramega OK in Earth’s jam room, this is what it would sound like. Forget what it does to your insides - this ritual rock rattles your goddamn bones.

http://www.brokenbeard.com/dwellers-good-morning-harakiri/

Post subject: Re: Dwellers- Good Morning Harakiri
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:40 pm 

10/10 from Doomantia

How does one make sonic magic? Well, start with a good production and catchy song writing and then proceed with an excellent rhythm section, finally, top all this off with a collection of dazzling riffs, solos and a fine vocal performance. All this considered I believe that Dwellers have concocted quite the musical brew.
At first glance of the band name, I was convinced I was about to go on a dark journey, but the strange, yet effective, cover had me confused as to the musical style. Cutting to the chase, Dwellers play hard rock, in their mix is a few nods to the doom and the stoner realms of things, but over all, hard rock is their genre and they spice things up nicely with some southern twang and grunge fuzziness.

Good Morning Hara-kiri opens up with Secret Revival, the opening riff had me raising an eyebrow due to its rather Nirvana inspired strumming, but soon after, the song opens up into a bass and drum fueled verse section that had me shamelessly rocking out. Soon the vocals kick in, and they fit in perfectly with the rest of the music. They are gruff when they need to be, and cleaner when most suitable, all in the all, the vocals are handled nicely through out the album. Secret Revival ends with a nice doom laden section that takes us into the next track.

Black Bird is consistently good as Secret Revival. Thrown into the mix are a little slide guitar and some terrific guitar work. It is always a good sign when I cannot seem to focus on what performance to listen to. Dwellers had me concentrating on each part separately; one minute I would be listening to the wonderfully tight drum fills, next the guitars, then the bass and so on. Black Bird not only cements the southern rock feel, but also the member’s musical competence.

Vultures had me slightly nervous. How does a band like this pull of an eleven-minute song? Dwellers do it just fine. Vultures never felt long for the sake of being long. It begins with another hard rock anthem that leads into an extended jam, laced with a little psychedelia for good measure. Behind this jam the bass and drums go at it like frantic lovers…Vultures is certainly recommended listening.

Ode to the Inversion Layer changes the pace up with a moody intro and then breaks back into what is expected: more great performances from the band. The vocals here are particularly strong, as is the guitar, which delivers hook after hook.
Lightning Ritual has a particular spring in its step and some nice Sabbathian riffing. This number has the standard rock song length and structure, which by no mean makes it a poor song; just rather, ordinary compared to the rest, especial the closing track.

Old Honey is a brilliant closer. It begins on an eerie tone with minimal drumming and clean, reverb heavy guitar that builds up into a great heavy mass of a riff that had me picturing voodoo rituals. Old Honey is an epic for sure; at nearly ten minutes, you had better bet that Dwellers has finely structured it with great riffs, excellent texturing and moments of a reflective quality.

Overall, Dweller’s Good Morning Hara-kiri is necessary listen. The only fault I can hear in this release would be from matter of taste. Nevertheless, regardless of the obvious fact that people do not see eye to eye in everything, one thing I think every one (honest people at least) will note, is that this three piece can play their instruments and craft some nicely structured songs. I am glad to say that my first review of the new year is a winner. 10/10

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:13 pm 

Is a vinyl-release planned? The track on bandcamp sounds great.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:34 pm 

Vinyl is being discussed, and will most likely happen for this album.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:13 pm 

Holy Moly, been listening to the streaming tracks off this and it's seeryusly gud.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:00 pm 

Dwellers cds have arrived, and the pre-orders are going out on Feb. 1st.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]