Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Review - Gordon Fights - Self Titled
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:27 pm 

Transubstans Records releases another fine record.

Written by Ian Gerber for The Soda Shop
http://thesodashop.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... lf-titled/

There is some great music coming out of Sweden via Transubstans Records. Along with Slidin’ Slim and Jeremy Irons & Ratgang Malibus’ great records (garnering my vote for some of the years best) comes Gordon Fights. Mixing their modern, blues and soul style with psychedelic and classic rock into a rollicking, groove filled record, these guys can hold their own with any rock band out there today.

My first impression is that they are Sweden’s answer to Pearls & Brass and this album is as good or better than The Black Crowes records that they cut after Amorica. Gordon Fights are actually quite bluesy and riff oriented, much like their label mates Jeremy Irons & The Ratgang Malibus but without as much reverb. They have a couple of “prog” moments, but they don’t jump around from riff to riff just try to prove how amazing they are and they don’t ruin their soulful sound with overplaying their technical proficiency. However, they do throw in some nice change ups in their songs to great effect. They mix it up quite well. They have three songs on the record that are over six minutes, but they bookend a seven song run of more radio length tracks.

I love saying what I am about to say and I am saying it more than I thought I would because it’s about fucking time this happened on a consistent basis. THERE ISN’T A BAD SONG ON THIS RECORD! Sure, if you are into fuzzed out, down tuned, crawling doom metal then this might not be the record for you. In the end it a straight up rock record. It is so refreshing to know that bands are trying to lay it down without trying to follow any particular trend or using heavy metal gimmicks to melt faces. Whether it is the Hendrix infused psychedelic ‘Warrior’ or ZZ Top boogie that runs the length of the record, it comes down to the fact that these guys are here to play rock music. There is no need to break this one down track by track because you should go and get it for yourself and give a bunch of listens. It will prove itself, especially if you are one of the rock snobs like me who like to think that you know what “real” rock and roll is.

Watch their video for their song 'Time Machine'...
While I'm at it, I would like to point out the uncanny resemblance of their frontman, Viktor Balkewitsch Persson, to Rory Gallagher.

Post subject: Re: Review - Gordon Fights - Self Titled
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:35 pm 

Nice review. I look forward to hearing this album.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]