Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: The Flying Eyes - Done So Wrong Top 5 of The Year
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:37 pm 

The Flying Eyes – Done So Wrong Reviewed

Psychedelic Rockers The Flying Eyes Deliver One of the Year’s Best Records

Written by Ian Gerber for The Soda Shop

There are a lot of things that I think about when I contemplate the importance and ignorance of psychedelic music in today’s society. What was once used as a vehicle of self exploration and enlightenment has become a recreational pastime. The “Hippies” of old have been replaced by “Trustafarian” thrill seekers obsessed with the digital blips and beeps that have infiltrated the “Jam band” music scene that was once a haven for the lost art of the improvisational guitar solo and psychedelic space jam. Even the bands that bear the atrociously shortened “Psych” tag seem to be more driven by image than making creative mind expanding music. This conundrum leads me the same question every time. What would Jimi do?

Well, even if the Almighty Left Handed God of Electric Guitar would have been born more recently, he probably wouldn’t have become the legend we know him as. Psychedelic driven blues and hard rock has been pushed to the underground and the former metal heads and punkers that just can’t seem to get behind Mac generated oscillation have taken up the torch. This is good news for people like me who grudgingly listening to anything made past 1974.

While I can’t speak for them, Baltimore’s The Flying Eyes new album “Done So Wrong” seems to reflect these thoughts. Released in March of this year, it has been steadily garnering positive reviews from every online rock critic who has listened to it. Heavy, moody, transcedental, blues based, psychedlelic riffs pulse and rumble the speakers right out of the gate. This record passed my “speed dating” first listen and has impressed me with every subsequent listen. My first thought was Dead Meadow meets The Black Keys. As it turns out they have shared the stage with Dead Meadow and Dan Auerbach. They have even appeared on the legendary rock concert showcase Rockpalast. I’m sure more high profile gigs will come their way the longer they keep up the good work.
This is where I would go into the stand out tracks of the album, but I feel that from top to bottom “Done So Wrong” delivers the goods. It is a wonderful record through and through. These guys obviously have done their homework on the blues, rock and roll, and the psychedelic experience. Every track is a mind bending experience coupled with passionate playing and vocals. The Flying Eyes live up to their hype and are full of potential. My only suggestion would be for them to find a worthy keys player. I’m a sucker for overdriven organ and spacey Rhodes playing. Even without one, they smoke. While they are completely modern, they would fit well on a time warped bill featuring Hendrix and Vanilla Fudge at The Filmore East with the legendary Joshua Light Show providing the projections.

It would be real easy for me to go on and on about this record, so I will get to the point. It is awesome. This is the record that every rock snob needs to pick up this year. This record does not dissapoint.

All of the informatin that you would possibly need is on their website http://www.theflyingeyes.com

Rockpalast performance of Done So Wrong's lead off track, Death Don't Make Me Cry.

Post subject: Re: The Flying Eyes - Done So Wrong Top 5 of The Year
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:26 am 

Great band. Seen them twice in the last 12 month and they play up a storm.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:20 pm 

Just based off of this review I bought the cd just now (I did listen to abit of the youtube clip also ;) )

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:40 am 

This makes what I do worth the time. Awesome.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]