Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:12 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Pater Nembrot - Sequoia Seeds Reviewed. Really good.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:25 pm 

Italy’s Stoner Rock Masters Makes A Great Record

Written by Ian Gerber for The Soda Shop

I don’t claim to have all of the information and answers about all things “Stoner Rock”. Even with all of the information that is readily available through the internet, it is easy to miss a lot of good bands. What I do have is a tuned ear, a desire to find new bands that kick ass and a big opinion to seperate the wheat from the chaffe. I like my rock and roll smathered in good tone, performed with a dedication to the music, and a touch a psychedelia never hurt anything. I don’t come across a lot of bands that suit my snobbish musical tastes every day. So as luck would have it, Italy’s Pater Nembrot has made a fine album that serves up course after course of meaty riffs and tasty psychedelic texture that fits the bill quite nicely. Sequoia Seeds is ten tracks (eleven if you coun’t the secret track) of Italian stoner goodness.

The album’s production is warm and inviting. The guitar tones aren’t over the top, as a lot “stoner” bands seem to think they have to be, and provide a nice catalogue of tasty licks and solos throughout the record. The midtempo drumming brings the thunder and keeps groove rolling along nicely. Jack Pasghin’s bass thumps hard AND sticks out in the mix, which is no easy feat as anyone who has recorded a heavy rock record can attest to. Phillip Leonardi’s melodic singing style is reminiscent of the better vocalists of the early 90′s grunge era and evokes the ambience of Chris Cornell digging low in his register, especially on the track “Awakening with Curiosity”. Even though they are Italian, the lyrics are written and performed in English, which is a bonus for those of us that have to use the Google translater feature to order our linguini.

As with any good psychedelic stoner band, Pater Nembrot’s sound is chocked full of classic rock influence. However, they avoid a lot of cliches and have forged a modern sound that helps them stick out from wave after wave of Black Sabbath clones. The stand out track for me would be “H.a.a.r.p”. which sounds something like riff heavy Dead Meadow without as much reverb and high pitched off-key vocals. It is hard to find good rock bands with a tasteful keys player so the rock and roll organ that steps in to lend a well crafted solo around the 3:00 minute mark is a welcome addition to the mix. I would highly suggest listening to this album in headphones, as it nicely amplifies the psychedelic atmosphere.

All in all, Sequoia Seeds is one of the better psychedelic rock albums that I have heard in the past year or so and deserves some spins through your preferred listening device. Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em and give this fine record a play.

H.a.a.r.p. Music Video

Post subject: Re: Pater Nembrot - Sequoia Seeds Reviewed. Really good.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:36 pm 

This is pretty cool. Definitely Dead Meadow/Pearls and Brass with a little of the late 90s classic period stoner rock bombast maybe. Nice cover, too. Classy.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]