Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: Jermemy Irons & The Ratgang Malibus - Bloom
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:46 am 

http://thesodashop.wordpress.com/2011/07/12/jeremy-irons-the-ratgang-malibus-bloom-reviewed/

Post subject: Re: Jermemy Irons & The Ratgang Malibus - Bloom
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:13 pm 

Swedish Psychedelic Rockers Second Release Makes The Cut

Written By Ian Gerber for The Soda Shop

Let me start by blowing off some steam. I have had my fill of listening to bands that intentionally carry the “Stoner Rock” tag and don't deliver. It seems as if the best "Stoner Rock" bands have had it un-intentionally bestowed upon them and spend the rest of their career trying to get out from under it, one way or the other. Enter Sweden's Jeremy Irons & The Ratgang Malibus. These guys are NOT a Stoner/Doom band. I'm sure the mistake of taking on a false moniker has more to do with the label (who also un-ashamedly call them Krautrtock) than the band, but these guys don't come close to the expectations associated with those genres, which isn't a bad thing, but it's ok to be yourself. You don't have to lie to kick it.

With that being said, Jeremy Irons & The Ratgang Malibu's latest release on Transubstans Records, Bloom, is a really nice record to listen to. I can't find anything bad to say about it at all. It's a well produced and performed psychedelic tinged rock and roll album. Bloom can boast of great tones, dynamics, and instrumentation. I have given it multiple listens and it has earned it's place on my Ipod.

Bloom is the type of album that you would have got if Jeff Buckley wouldn't have come to an early demise and decided to get his Led Zeppelin on. This is meant to be as much of a compliment as possible. The vocals really do sound like Jeff Buckley back from the dead. The guitar licks are tasty and to the point. There is a wonderfully subtle spacey ambience that plays well in between Keith Richards style riffs and classic rock organ that runs throughout the album.

This album definetly stands out for not burying it's sound in massive amounts of distortion and for the actual singing instead of Cookie Monster vocals. These guys fit nicely amongst the other underground psychedelic, classic rock revivalists such as Strange Haze and Goliathon. If you need a break from the doom and gloom, get yourself a copy of Bloom and enjoy a slice of spacey rock and roll.

You can listen and purchase their album on their Bandcamp site.
theratgang.bandcamp.com

Watch their video for IAOA…

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:21 pm 

I have this cd and it is great. A very nice clean retro sound. When I listen to it, all I can think of is Blue Sky by the Allman Bros. (although I am not saying they are similar) .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:42 am 

While saying that The ABB is one of my all time favorite bands, if not the all time favorite, is an understatement…. I think that is fair. I picked up some of that vibe myself, although I couldn't really work it in without sounding coy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:53 pm 

I like this stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:10 pm 

I really like how the vocals make the music stand out. They are very musical..ala Jeff Buckley. That doesnt come around every day.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:06 pm 

Transubstans puts out alot of great "retro" stoner bands. One of the better labels around.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:03 pm 

I noticed. While I consider my band modern, I would like to think it would fit in over there. The envelope addressed to them with my promo pack in it is on the top of the short pile of shameless self promotion I am sending out tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:50 pm 

This album is fantastic. A real step up from their previous, IMO. This one has been on a consistent rotation for a month now. Solid.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:33 pm 

You'd probably dig alot of the Transubstans stuff as it is quite similar.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:44 am 

Easily one of the top 5 albums of the year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:13 pm 

I've been listening to a bunch of Transubstans albums on random, so need to focus on each one to decide which are my favorites. This one (reminds me slightly of Elope), Slidin' Slim, Skraeckoedlan, Three Seasons, Ginger Trees, Hills, The Divine Baze Orchestra and Stonewall Noise Orchestra. Definitely pretty diverse sounds between blues, psych, prog, stoner, and meat-and-potatoes retro. Haven't heard Gordon Fights yet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:37 pm 

I'd say that Gordon Fights sits somewhere between Pearls & Brass and The Black Crowes….but you konw, Swedish.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]