Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Dexter Jones' Circus Orchestra - If Light Can't Save Us...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:25 pm 

Dexter Jones' Circus Orchestra - If Light Can't Save Us, I Know Darkness Will
Fuzzorama Records
Release Date: 2010

If you were wondering if Dexter Jones' Circus Orchestra got over whatever made them so lyrically grim on 2007's Side by Side, opener “If Bars Could Bend” answers in the negative. More a somber hymn than a rock 'n' roll song, it doesn't so much set the stage as darken it.

Sure, following number “I'm a Dog but You're a Hound” returns the band to its infectious Hellacopters-by-way-of-Mammoth-Volume rock, but if you take a moment and check out what the band's actually saying, you'd wind up feeling pretty bad about life. If Light Can't Save Us, I Know Darkness Will (hey, look at that – another indicator of their mindset) is a pessimist's wet dream, replete with references to failed mental states, insecurities, regret, broken promises, futility, and plain old misery.

And yet musically, you'd never tell. Sure, there's an undercurrent of sorrow here and there, but more often than not the band's too peppy to be anything but uplifting. It's a neat trick, one that's almost as subtle as the layering going on in the songs. Dexter Jones' has always been more about composition and nuance than competing with the beer drinkers and hell raisers of the world. And with If Light Can't Save Us..., you're in for a real treat. The band makes use of every instrument, with multiple guitar parts weaving in and out on top of a solid yet extremely fluid rhythm section. Assemble together, it's thoughtful, intricate music that's forward moving enough to still rock. Speaking of which, if new guitarist Mathew Bethancourt's (Josiah, Kings of Frog Island, Cherry Choke) sole contribution was the solo that tears up the end of “Little Man,” he's earned his keep and then some.

In the context of the band's previous two releases, I'd say this is a step above Side by Side and on par or slightly ahead of Dexter Jones' Circus Orchestra. Their debut had the benefit of being an instant classic, but this album showcases an extraordinary amount of talent and musical growth. In terms of peers, I'm having trouble coming up with names. If Light Can't Save Us, I Know Darkness Will is one of the first highlights of 2010. Highly recommended.

- John Pegoraro

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]