Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Eldemur Krimm - Trainwreck on a Ship
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:21 pm 

Eldemur Krimm - Trainwreck on a Ship
Self released
Release date: 2009

Trainwreck on a Ship is a fitting title for the Eldemur Krimm's second and final release. The Portland, Maine band had, during their all too brief run, mastered the art of sea shanty rock and this posthumous album captures them at their best and brightest.

Debut Dirigo had its share of great songs (notably “Elephant Gun”) but it never reached Trainwreck's level of consistency. This album's 11 tracks are an eclectic mix of hard rock and Americana roots rock that boast of rolling rhythms and impeccable playing. Krimm's the sort of outfit that's impressive alone by basis of technical skill, but they take even one step further with outstanding song writing. Trainwreck is music as a narrative, lyrics and instruments working together to form unique stories. If you had three weird uncles who spent the better part of their lives at sea, Trainwreck on a Ship would be their wild, wooly tales. That's not to say that that each song is nautically themed; it's more that the band has the grace of one who's grown accustomed to never having solid ground beneath one's feet and has seen parts of the world that are exotic to us landlubbers.

It's tough coming up with an epitaph for a band so unique and clever, but Conifer alumni John Althoff may have come closest with “[they're like] Mountain on crack.” Call them what you want, but make sure you track down a copy of this album. It's worth it, and then some.

Post subject: Re: Eldemur Krimm - Trainwreck on a Ship
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:30 pm 

Where can one get this cd? Their previous one is killer..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:39 pm 

Dunno. I got mine through the band. Not sure if it was officially released or just sort of passed around from friend to friend. Phantos may know more.

Posted the review because it was one of the few cached ones I found right away, and hell, Krimm's vastly underrated.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:01 pm 

I don't even have a copy at this point.
I do have demo tracks and rough mixed singles from the album.
I need to bug Stefan about it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:04 pm 

BTW, that John Althoff cat is a sketchy creeper. FYI.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:15 pm 

Phantos wrote:
I don't even have a copy at this point.
I do have demo tracks and rough mixed singles from the album.
I need to bug Stefan about it.

Yes, i'd like to get my hands on a copy of this cd. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:28 am 

Bump

Hey - I didn't even know they recorded a followup, I guess this never came out but it is online (soulseek).

Just a couple songs in but this is a treasure. I've worn out the bits on the Dirigio one so this is just great to get another release from them. Yes! This is well done.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:37 pm 

I could write an essay on praising this band, but put simply, Eldemur Krimm ruled. Their originality and natural songwriting skills were so unique in a sea of generic heavy/stoner rock. I feel fortunate to have see them live twice, once at the Maine Stoner Fest in Portland, circa '06. The line-up that Friday night below;

Ruler of the Raging Main
Eldemur Krimm
Valkyrie
Ogre
The Brought Low
RPG
The Atomic Bitchwax

One of the better shows I've seen to date. And, although there was some really stand out sets, especially The Brought Low & RPG....Eldemur Krimm, it's like the stars alined for me that night, that band just gave me the fucking chills they were so good. This was the first time seeing them live. Like Frank Zappa playing with Scissorfight, or something like that. I had already heard Dirigo a good bit to that point, but after that show, I was a HUGE fan. Some time later, the kind one Arz hooked me up with a link to the electronic file of Trainwreck on a Ship. Like a Knob, I never properly downloaded it, and now have no idea where that is. I'll have to try this soulseek thing.

I found a clip from a reunion show they did last summer below. I thought about driving up to Portland from Boston for this, but pussed out with kids, etc. May have to buck up if this ever happens again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DsdjzpxB78

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]