Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Suzukiton - Second Album
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:09 pm 

Suzukiton - Second Album
Self Released
Release date: TBA

While Alabama Thunderpussy's Erik Larson has been keeping himself busy since that seminal band collapsed (I'd list all the projects he's been involved in, but I'm trying to keep this review to the point), there hasn't been much noise from the other core members.

Fortunately, drummer Bryan Cox has resurfaced with Suzukiton's second, as yet untitled album. And like debut Service Repair Handbook, it's a hornet's nest of jagged riffs, buzzing about with an intensity that at first seems unpredictable but is actually well thought out and executed. They're not as out-there as Keelhaul, but the band (which also features William Rose on bass and Todd Naumann and David Boyd on guitars) does share that same sense of controlled mayhem laid carefully over tight grooves. It's apparent in almost all of the tracks, but especially so on "Threshold," "Snakehead," and the punishing "Decommissioned." Throw in a couple of odd time signatures and tonal shifts and Suzukiton could be considered prog metal, but they thankfully keep things direct. It's all about The Riff, not how complicated they can make it.

Unfortunately, it seems Suzukiton's modus operandi remains the same - at press time, the album doesn't have an official release date. Hopefully there won't be as long as wait for this one as there was for Service Repair Handbook. Until then, you can always listen to the album for free via their Facebook page. And you should, as it comes recommended.

- John Pegoraro

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]