Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Borracho - Splitting Sky
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:38 pm 

Heavy Planet
"...As the feedback from the final chords of Borracho’s opus faded out of my speakers, I was left contemplating the fact that these four gents have just entered a rather significant circle…or brotherhood even. You see the stoner rock/doom scene in the mid-Atlantic U.S. has given rise to some impressive names throughout the years…Sixty Watt Shaman, Scott “Wino” Weinrich and Clutch to name a few. With Splitting Sky, DC’s Borracho have crafted an absorbing debut album that says “we’re ready to join the club.” My recommendation is that you get onboard with this one right now…because chances are, you’ll be paying good money to hear Borracho play it “in its entirety” ten years from now. Splitting Sky is an instant classic. It’ll blow your mind that this whole thing started out as a side project."

The Soda Shop
"I love it when you’re expecting something and you have high hopes for it. You finally receive what it is you’re looking for and it totally blows away your expectations. Yeah, Borracho’s debut Splitting Sky is like that. On their website they have had a few downloads that were a good representation of the sound they play. Well the cats out of the bag, Borracho is here, the album will be out June 28th, this is a MUST LISTEN album and it’s so fucking good, it will end up on many best of 2011 lists."

Contact us if you want to get your hands on the music to review. The release date is June 28.

Twitter
Bandcamp

Post subject: Re: Borracho - Splitting Sky
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:02 am 

And another from the Sludge Swamp

"...I'm pretty sure that this 100 pound riffing beast will be in my top ten list for the year. And definitely one of the major surprises.The sound is pure, slaying, riff rock in the spirit of Clutch, Fu Manchu, Orange Goblin (or as our own Fra said, Mendozza) or more genrally just perfect, destructive, groovy Megaton Riff Rock, with gruff, testicle dripping vocals, bass/drums that pound your skull into the floor, alcohol fueled melodies and guitars the size of an angry giant gorilla."

Twitter
Bandcamp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:51 pm 

More reviews rolling in...

Doomantia

“Borracho has come up with one hell of a début, and if this first effort is any indication, they are destined to bring us more infectious grooves and recognizably original pieces in the future…For now, suffice to say that “Splitting Sky” gets a 9/10 from me.”

DC Heavy Metal

"Borracho has put a lot of work into getting their songs to sound just right and it shows, from the song writing to the production they’ve done a great job here. There’s lots of crunchy riffs that aren’t just heavy but are also infectiously catchy and memorable...along with bands like Pentagram, King Giant, and (the now defunct) Salome, they’re helping to remind everyone that this area is still a city for excellent heavy stoner and doom."

Twitter
Bandcamp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:42 pm 

Damn. This shit is tight, yo. Great stuff. Definitely my favorite up and comers so far!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:25 pm 

had a listen and sounds good and deep, will be purchasing the vinyl if im one of the lucky 200!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:44 pm 

Will try to keep up, and also consolidate these as they come in. Thanks to everybody who's checked it out. Here's another. Lots of hyperbole in this one, and trust me, we're very modest guys, but can't resist posting some of these bold statements...

Sludgelord
"This is hands-down the Stoner Metal Album release of 2011...This album is going to be a classic of the genre. No question about it...A Classic In the Making and definitely a landmark album in Stoner-Metal. An album that every Metal Fan should own if you’re a Stoner Metal Fan or not."

So, thanks Sludgelord!!! Hope a few of you will feel this way too!

Twitter
Bandcamp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:59 pm 

Riffer wrote:
Will try to keep up, and also consolidate these as they come in. Thanks to everybody who's checked it out. Here's another. Lots of hyperbole in this one, and trust me, we're very modest guys, but can't resist posting some of these bold statements...

Fuck no. Post away and cheers. You guys deserve all the cred you've got coming to you. Well done. Fucking outstanding album.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:16 pm 

And from Too High to Get it Right

Not much of a review, but a few words...

Twitter
Bandcamp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:05 pm 

I saw these guys at the Cake Shop recently, and it was a nice surprise... wish I would have known about them (and the album) earlier. Good stuff- right in my wheelhouse:
mid-tempo, no-apologies "stonerrock" with super-thick riffs, and tons-o-groove. And, the singer's got a Neil Fallonesque voice, which leans toward an aggressive delivery (no stoner-hippy bullshit). Great formula, and the songs are pretty long, which is a plus. I think I read somewhere that the singer was the drummer in the Assrockers- I wasn't a fan of them, but I really dig Borracho (so, don't base your opinion of this band on what you may know about the Assrockers).
Unless I find some earth-shattering releases later this year, Splitting Sky will definitely make my top 10 of 2011.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:08 pm 

A couple more solid reviews in over the last month or so...

From The Sleeping Shaman - Aug. 2

“Like any good dealer Borracho have lured you in with a couple of freebies and now it’s time to pay… you’d be forgiven for thinking this may be another in a long line of Small Stone releases!!!… Definitely one to check out though if you like your riffs big and your moonshine lethal!!!”

and from The Ripple Effect - Sept. 8

"This album is an epic, earsplitting fuzz-fest and it’s certainly in my top 5 releases of 2011 so far. It might even be my #1. We’ll see… Borracho and Splitting Sky are looming large above the current landscape and distant horizon of stoner rock, in my opinion. Others may want to seek shelter."

Twitter
Bandcamp

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]