Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:56 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Cave In: White Silence
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:13 pm 

Okay, so this album covers all the Cave In bases. If anything, it's on the heavy, tear you a new asshole side. But there are some spacey moments on such tracks as "Sing My Loves", "Summit Fever" and "Heartbreaks, Earthquakes", the later two of which get into the Steve Brodsky Beatles by way of Trail Of Dead territory. But it's all a bit too bassy and heavy. don't get me wrong, I love the heavier side of Cave In and I was nonplussed about the smooth sounds of "Antenna", but most of this album, especially the first two thirds, are a bit too thudding to capture the breadth of what the band is capable of. Something about the mix just turns them into Torche on half the tracks. Which isn't bad, but I feel like if you gave them a bit more space, the individual parts would take on so much more life. Maybe I just need a better setup. But it sounded a little muddy. The songs are all there, though. These guys could and would be Tool, whatever you think of that band. They have all the same artillery, and more of a varied back catalogue. I'd love to see them again, since by the sound of this album, they are hitting the perfect middle ground stylistically. I just wish they'd reined in the roar a bit, because the Muse to Mastodon range this band still maintains is just too good to bury in the red.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]