Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Black Cowgirl - EP
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:24 pm 

Black Cowgirl – S/T EP (Self-Release)
By Jay Snyder
April 17, 2011

With Ben McGuire (guitar and vocals), and Chris (bass) both of Electric Horsemen, and Mark Hanna (former drummer of Backwoods Payback) on board, I was expecting something nastier, and more abrasive than what I’m hearing on Black Cowgirl’s debut S/T EP. The Lancaster, PA based quartet operates on a smoother set of rails than either of the two aforementioned outfits, working wonders with big chunks of melodic, twin guitar gusto courtesy of Ben and Nate that draws influence from everything including massive southern rock groove, traditional hard rock/metal, and sasparilla swigging, country-tinged slide guitar licks that open up into vast fields of expressive, psychedelic scope.

Don’t get me wrong… Black Cowgirl is still plenty heavy, spitting out more red hot rock riffing than you can shake a stick at, while boasting a kinetic, physically demanding performance from drummer Mark Hanna, yet there’s a specialized focus on hook-y, melodic vocals, and enticing, pop songcraft that really makes these songs stick to the ribs. Seriously, to my ears, there’s several radio hits on this S/T EP that could have probably appeared between Skynyrd and Sabbath on a 70s station, or Soundgarden and AIC on a 90s rotation, and in either case you would have remained glued to the FM static in hopes of finding out the artist’s name!

“Talk Of Wolves” is the short, anthemic opener that gets things started off right…cracking a nice cool beer right beneath your nose, before hitting you in the face with it as Hanna sets the pace off with a hammering, Rock of Gibraltar beat with Ben’s silky croon, winding, deeply incisive dual guitar licks, and breathing bass lines following hot on his heels, exploring the idea of a severely Skynyrd baked Thin Lizzy dueling with 90s hard rock radio (do I hear some of the first 4 Danzig records somewhere in there, perhaps in the main riff?). It’s a brief little slice of rock n’ roll pie that readies the listener for the first main course, “Roadmaster.” This is a driving, stoner rock jam that pulls no punches from the very start, running you over with a freight train of fluid, soaring 70s guitar riffage, and punchy drumming that bowls through a bevy of tightly executed rolls, fills, and pocket beat keeping. The bass keeps this well-oiled machine running at full steam, driving the groove home with authority, as the verse enters brimming with a liquored-up smoothness, and particularly captivating vocals that roll like thunder over the barren plains. Black Cowgirl switches between the high-octane riff/rhythm shake-ups, and plaintive verses several times before settling on an instrumental endtime jam that begins with the graciously spacious midsection; a place where the guitars play beautifully off of each other, trading relaxed note arrangements, ambient sound, and soulful leads like it’s going out of style, as Chris and Mark keep a buoyant rhythm nailed to Ben and Nate’s six string shrapnel. That six shrapnel I just spoke of goes nuclear in the form of a jugular-bombing, harmonized riff that kicks in and usurps entire universes at the 2:11 mark. I’m talking the kind of riff you bust out the red carpet and fine china for, and it’s buttressed by some appropriately bashing, tub-thumping for added oomph and emphasis. My back is in need of a massage from banging my neck muscle so damn hard after this one…think a couple of my increasingly creaky vertebrae were popped out in the process of the divine convulsions induced by this most holy of riffs.

The jangled chords, overall tones, and retro ringing, half-step riffs of “The Ride,” echo Witchcraft and Graveyard to a certain degree. It’s all catchy 70s rock played through vintage amps and equipment with a flair that’s a bit American, a bit Swedish, and a bit of the UK. A nice mix of influences that’s spilled out on a canvas of rural Americana, rollicking through some nice, workmanlike tempos, snazzy guitar leads that break off into solos, and a huge chorus that’ll slice out a piece of your brain matter and replace it with the words, “She’s the night, and I know I’m gonna watch her ride,” very catchy stuff that doesn’t need ten million, hack journalistic adjectives to describe it. It fuckin’ rocks, ‘nuff said!

I felt the west winds ripping through my tangled hair on the easy, breezy swing of “Alkaline,” by far the EP’s most restrained composition overflowing with blues, and country auras. Somewhere I’m sitting on a hill with the sun setting behind my back with a belly full of sweet fungus...having the time of my life no doubt. Blissfully bended notes, and slide accompaniment constricts around breathy vocals, and swirling psychedelics that are rurally rooted in rich bass presence, and laidback drumming…the literal bread n’ butter behind the track’s ebbing calm. The doppelganger guitars flesh out some nice melody above the waiflike groove, refraining themselves from exploding into a full-blown juggernaut of a riff until the 2:16 mark where Ben unleashes a few soothing “ohs” from his larynx, the beats pound harder, and a sundering riff introduces itself, heads out the door, and makes way for a few esteemed guests, the most notable of which include a pair of guitars spilling out soul in every direction by way of alternating riffs vs. squealing lead lines that reek of blue-collar, bourbon blasted sadness.

EP favorite “Dead House,” gets me drunk and stoned just listening to it, further proof that good rock music isn’t just a hobby, or spectator sport, but a full on addiction! It comes barreling through the gates, possessed with groove and swagger, rifling off mid-tempo blows of southern-rock riffing, tuneful slide guitar licks, and hard-hitting rhythms that score a direct hit to the solar plexus. But instead of going for the attack element directly, the band sinks into a verse of country twang, cool and collected ambient flourish, and emotive crooning. The track’s driving, introductory arrangement returns for the chorus, slipping a railroad spike mickey of sweet slide guitar into the relentlessly intoxicating riff brew, as Ben’s somber voice morphs into a deliberate shout, carving one of the EP’s biggest hooks right across your forehead. They jam out heartily for the outro, chucking you straight into a dancing fire of cracking riffs/leads, and a rhythmic component that never stops pushing the forward movement, and general progression of the arrangement.

An epic closing is on hand in the form of “Eclipsor,” a biting statement of swinging blues, country, and stoner rock that clocks in snugly over the 7 minute mark. The opening riff provides a propulsive drive, and everything stretches into this expansive rocker that’s been left to sit in the desert heat for a couple of odd months or so, as plaintive vocals and understated southern licks dart from mellow to full-on blaring at the drop of a hat. There’s some Skynyrd groove, some Lizzy shred, and a twisting, psychedelic second half all present here, which adds up to another bonafide success for these mighty men.

Definitely no throwaway side-project going on with Black Cowgirl, no sir! In fact, not only do I mean that from the perspective of how much ass the band and this particular EP kick, but also from the perspective that they’re actively touring, and about halfway through the writing of a complete LP. Hopefully, someone picks them up before then, and gives the release a home (I’m looking at you Smallstone!). In the meantime, you can order a copy of the S/T debut EP, or grab the tunes digitally. I highly recommend you do so, because this is killer rock n’ roll groove. It’s rooted in the classics without a doubt, but there’s a lot more going on underneath the hood of this mean machine. In a world where a lot of upstart bands are perfectly content to ape Mastodon and The Sword, and leave it go at that, Black Cowgirl are working a different angle. This is like a mixture of the rural rock n’ sludge from the band’s home area (which counting the nearby hamlets in Delaware…has resulted in a ton of amazing bands…Electric Horsemen, Backwoods Payback, Count Von Count, Onita, Ape!, Melon, etc.), with the sheer catchiness of the first QOTSA LP, a heaping smatter of 70s rock, a little touch of the 90s, and the no bullshit ethics of the entire Smallstone roster. Through, and through, this is a top-notch debut, and I’m already hungry for another platter!

Visit the Black Cowgirl website at http://www.facebook.com/blackcowgirl1989

Post subject: Re: Black Cowgirl - EP
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:02 am 

Great review! Loved their set at Born to be Doomed!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:37 am 

thanks grooverock, BTBD was a great time!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:17 am 

You're a great time Roadmaster!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]