Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Ironweed - Your World Of Tomorrow
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:05 pm 

From Broken Beard

“Now Stronger,” the opening track on Ironweed’s sophomore album, Your World of Tomorrow, is a mega-sized mix of spacey ambition and aggressive thrust, and lays the groundwork for an entire album’s worth of all-encompassing cosmic crunch. It might be said, then, that Your World of Tomorrow is a much more loftier effort than 2008′s Indian Ladder, and why not? With its eye-in-the-sky theme, Your World of Tomorrow finds the Albany band reworking their motorcycle metal into a groovier, albeit more paranoiac, ride. And while it still offers up its fair share of sludge n’ fuzz with songs like “The Lucky Ones,” “Enduring Snakes,” “Messenger,” and “Heavy Crowns,” there’s a noticeable move away from the stoner center thanks to the flashy dynamics on songs like “And the New Slaves,” “Awaken,” and “Red Circles”. Make no mistake, though, Ironweed is still really fucking heavy, it’s just that they’ve found occasion to take what they could from The Quill, Soundgarden, sHEAVY, and Solace and incorporate it into their ten ton sound. Best part is, the album ends as it starts, with closer “A Graceful Death” serving as mean, meteoric punctuation.

- Jeff Warren

April 17th, 2011
http://www.brokenbeard.com/ironweed-you ... -tomorrow/

Post subject: Re: Ironweed - Your World Of Tomorrow
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:26 pm 

Have any of you taken this one for a test drive on iTunes yet?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:56 am 

I keep thinking I'm going to write up a review for this, the new Roadsaw, the Tia Carrera, etc., but I can't find the time. Maybe today. Hell, maybe now. Here's the condensed, off the cuff first draft review (that's probably unconsciously lifted from JJ's take):

Ironweed - Your World of Tomorrow

After the benefit of hindsight, Ironweed's debut was most notable for "Penny for Your Prayers," wherein the Albany, NY band brought a sense of Faith No More's grandiosity to their loud bounce-stomp-groove hard rock teetering on the edge of metal proceedings. The song stuck out not only because it's good - I push it on friends who are fed up feeding from the mainstream's dank trough but who aren't quite ready for the subtle nuances of YOB - but also because the rest of the album never gelled as strongly.

On Your World of Tomorrow, the band doesn't have any tracks that quite reach that level (some come awful close), but apart from the dreadful "Awaken," they're a markedly better band. Opener "Now Stronger" is, well, stronger, with a subtle hook 'n' riff combo that will attract newcomers and those left wanting by The Indian Ladder but willing to give Ironweed another chance. And if you stick with the album, you'll also be rewarded by the likes of "The Lucky Ones" (the one track most akin spiritually to "Penny for Your Prayers"), "Enduring Snakes," "Messenger," and "A Graceful Death." It's hard rock played slightly busier than usual, with a unified front of strong performances to shore up any minor deficiencies.

Elsewhere, returns may vary. I suppose the band deserves some credit for aping the current era of Iron Maiden on "And the New Slaves" - hell, someone has to do it - but it's tough to ignore that "Red Circles" seems a lot longer than its two minutes and change running time. And "Awaken"? For every good part (I'll give 'em the chorus), there are two parts that stumble hard (that falsetto, the fact that it sounds like they crammed four songs' worth of half baked ideas into one). If not for the fact that I promised myself I'd listen to the whole album, I would've stopped right there.

Ironweed's on their way to being a great band, but they're not quite there yet. Your World of Tomorrow is a positive step forward.

- John Pegoraro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:56 pm 

This new one far out weighs the last one. It's....different, but in a better way.

Cd drops?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:10 pm 

May/ June Will B...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:59 pm 

WillB... I spoke to soon, the cds just arrived yesterday, so you can get them early from the Small Stone Store if you want.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:30 pm 

Think I grabbed the first copy :) .

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:12 am 

Here's my review from www.thesleepingshaman.com

Ironweed 'Your World Of Tomorrow' CD 2011

I have to admit I never got round to checking out Ironweed's debut offering "Indian Ladder" which landed in 2008, so I approached my initial listen to this album with no idea what to expect other than some preconceived notion that it may involve some nice fat bluesy riffs, big grooves and beards that so many Small Stone bands excel in delivering. I didn't expect a powerhouse metal album with balls of steel!!!

Sure, the riffs here are certainly bigger than J-Lo's ass and fuzzier than Ron Jeremy's chest but they bristle with a metallic sheen that somehow manages to bring together elements of Alice In Chains style grunge with the catchier, groovier elements of Anthrax's prime 80's output. If I may be so bold as to make another Anthrax comparison I would say that Jeff Andrews' classic high throated vocals occupy the same territory as so many classic 80's power metal bands with something of a nod towards Joey Belladonna's helium fuelled approach.

This album is a mammoth riff-fest from start to finish that piles crunch on top of crunch bolstered up by relentless rhythms. A track by track run down is almost redundant though "The Lucky Ones" is a clear highlight with its incessant "My dead friends are the lucky ones" refrain that continues to ring out long after the album has finished. It isn't all heads down to the finish drum patterns and huge riffs however, Ironweed do know when to hold back and on a track such as "And The New Slaves" they show they are able to vary their dynamic attack as the song builds from a balladic verse to epic mid section through prog tinged psychedelia into a full on metal assault and back again before heading into outer space...pretty much all facets of the Ironweed sound blended into one song.

This may not be the most immediate album to grasp. I have to admit on first listen I was left thinking "what the fuck" as I felt that I'd been transported back 25 years to a time when my jeans were sprayed on and my hi-top trainers were pristine white, but repeated listens have opened up the subtleties held in this album. Most albums aren't without their weaknesses and "Awaken" is a bit of a dip; the vocals bordering on a little too shrill for easy listening and possessing a chorus that does delve into the cheesier side of 80's metal. Fortunately the rolling rhythms of "Messenger" quickly bring things back on track.

Recorded at Mad Oak studios under the guidance of Benny Grotto this is, as you might expect, an exceptional sounding piece of work with crisp, all encompassing guitars and an overall thick, warm tone that allows Andrews' vocals to shine.

I will admit, this isn't my favourite album in the Small Stone catalogue, but then the competition is pretty fierce. It is, however, as strong a metal album as is likely to be released this year and a million miles better than some of the appalling shit that is pedalled in the pages of Kerrang and Metal Hammer as the "next big thing". Definitely worth a listen if you're in a head busting mood.

http://www.facebook.com/GRIFTERROCK
http://grifterrock.bandcamp.com
http://grifter.bigcartel.com
http://www.myspace.com/grifterrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/grifterrock

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]