Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Failure & Hum, Charlotte, NC 8/10/15
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:53 am 

I went and saw Failure & Hum Last night and Holy Shit, was it good! I woke up this morning with that cool, mellow bridge part of "Hot Traveler" buzzing through my head. I'm still kinda awestruck. Really cool venue too...the Neighborhood Theatre in NODA.
Hum was way better than I expected. I had one of their albums from the late '90's I think? (You'd Prefer an Astronaut) I haven't heard that in a while, nor anything new by them. They were actually pretty damn heavy. They brought some serious riffs...like a bastard child of old Metallica and Weezer. I only knew a couple songs, "Stars" of course, but if most of them were from their new album, then I really need to be getting it.
Failure was completely amazing! I didn't realize that they don't even use amps. They play through the venue's PA system and still get the most amazing live sound I think I've ever heard! I know Ken is some digital, production genius of sorts, but I can't understand how they get that sound through a PA? Although they did crash them a cpl times and had to reset. Three amazing musicians for sure! I didn't realize how good the drummer is...and with such a minimal set. He basically just has a 5 pc. kit with some extra crashes. Thought I was gonna shit when he was doing those tom rolls in "Wet Gravity"! And they way Ken and Greg can alternate effortlessly between guitar and bass is something to be said. They opened with "Hot Traveler" and "AM Amnesia" and played a good mix of new and old. The live version of "Mulholland Dr." was really cool. I was hoping they'd play "Heliotropic" at some point. They came out for an encore and did "Nurse Who Loved me" and closed with "Heliotropic". Hell yes! I'm a big, strong, hairy macho man and I almost f-kng cried. Let's keep that between us? Great show! If you ever liked anything about Failure, go see them!

Post subject: Re: Failure & Hum, Charlotte, NC 8/10/15
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:33 am 

btw, I found most of those Hum riffs off "Downward Is Heavenward(1998)" and "Electra2000(1993)...not exactly "new", so to speak...shows you what I know? But hey, better late than never. They are in my collection now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:55 pm 

Good review. Going to see this show on Saturday night.

I Saw Failure in Boston last year...and is one of my top 3 favorite sets by a band ever. For a while following that show, it was #1.
Huge HUM fanboy..and I've never seen them. And it's my birthday. And my wife is coming with me. This is going to be interesting

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:17 am 

Good review, I'm stoked for this on Saturday!!

This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high five you yesterday. Peace!
http://www.facebook.com/PalaceInThunderland
http://palaceinthunderland.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:38 am 

Phenomenal show in Boston. Hum were KILLER

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]