Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: The Brought Low @ The Middle East Up (1/15/2011)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:31 am 

Missed the first band, got there in time for the second. Immediately noticed that while the usual suspects were milling about, overall this wasn't the usual butt rock crowd. Not so much hipsters - although there were plenty of them - but a weird infusion of corporate types (not that I'm one to talk, but I don't dress Land's End on the weekends).

Anyway, second band apparently has huge local buzz, so I'm going to assume they were responsible for the hodge podge (the demographic of The Boston Phoenix? Perhaps). They were, not surprisingly, of the Not Good variety. Solid musicians, presumably good people, etc., etc., but the two and a half songs I heard - part of the opening number, most of the second to last song, and the closing tune - were weak sauce. Sounded like they were inspired by 80s synth pop and/or everything heard on a John Hughes movie soundtrack. No thanks.

If there was an upside to that band, it was that they made The Brought Low that much better. Not that they needed any help, mind you. After a quick set-up, the three-piece tore into "Old Century" and quickly followed with "Everybody Loves a Whore," "The Kelly Rose" (Ben: "This song's about playing the ponies") and "My Favorite Waste of Time" (Ben: "This song's about fucking." Bob: "You don't have to imagine us fucking, though"). Then came some fiery renditions of "This Ain't No Game" and "What I Found," both of which never ever get old (the bass line to the latter is an inspired piece of work). The closing number was "Blues for Cubby," which even if it got a little sloppy towards the end, rocked like rock should rock, of course. I've seen the band a bunch of times and back in the pre-child(ren) days wouldn't have thought twice about jumping in a bus to go see 'em out of state. They never get old and they never disappoint.

Skipped out on headliners Mellow Bravo as I had spent the brunt of the day traveling and really, really wanted to go to sleep. The wee bit of them I saw showed a band that was having fun on stage, almost a revival type interpretation of classic (arena) rock. Might check 'em out again. I'd say provided they get another band of the same caliber as The Brought Low, but those types of groups are hard to come by.

Post subject: Re: The Brought Low @ The Middle East Up (1/15/2011)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:36 am 

yup, the brought low rocked the fuck out. here's ben and i bonding...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]