Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: High on Fire - Richmond VA 1/8/2015
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:06 pm 

High on Fire is doing a short tour prior to recording their new album, and played Richmond for the first time since 2007 at the fairly new midsize venue The Broadberry. The band sounded awesome as usual and as is to be expected after their lengthy and hard-working career. They did a block of four new songs that sounded fantastic, each had the trademark unmistakeable High on Fire vibe and included a shit-ton of meaty riffs, solos and vocals. Felt a distinct Motorhead vibe throughout the set, loads of unrelenting sound and forceful presentation, nothing half-ass going down here. Although Sleep unfortunately gets more attention, this is Pike's actual working band, and I consider it an honor to be present to witness him display his skills in person. After first seeing them 15 years ago this month and having continued to follow them along the way, my opinion coninues to be cemented that this band is one of the greatest live heavy rock acts in the world, they've definitely never let me down.

Warming up for HoF was Windhand who are on tour with them, doing an increasing rare hometown show, and still plagued by technical issues that seem to recur almost every time they play here. Windhand's biggest asset aside from the perfect;y-suited vocals of Dorthia Cottrell is Ryan Wolfe's drumming, which drives the band with a real forward swing. The parts of the set that were not hampered by amp issues sounded great.

Mountain of Wizard is also doing the tour with HoF and Windhand and features Eyehategod drummer Aaron Hill. They were solid heavy intrumental jams with that NOLA feeling that the guys play together a lot. I did spend a lot of their set gabbing with all the collected folks who turned up for the show so can't say much more about their music, but I'd see them again for sure.

Opener was Inter Arma, again a local band who plays locally less than ever, having done two European tours and lots of US shows in 2014. They played a lengthy set that sounded really good, slow and trippy topped off by recurring riffs and Mike's wild-eyed blackened vocals. The 2nd best set of the night after High on Fire.

Here's the rest of the tour dates-

January 9 Brooklyn, NY Saint Vitus Bar (two shows)
January 10 Hartford, CT Webster Underground
January 11 Portland, ME Port City Music Hall
January 13 Poughkeepsie, NY The Loft at The Chance Theatre
January 14 Providence, RI Simon's 677

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]