Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: 1/10 Blue Aside, Might Could, Slumlord Beauty Northampton MA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:49 am 

This was the first Metal Monday event I had planned/promoted, and it went pretty well, despite some obvious obstacles.

First, it's a Monday night, but once upon a time, Monday nights were thriving at The Elevens in Northampton. Why? A lot of places in town are closed Tuesday, so it's Friday night for a lot of peeps.

So, with a plan to rebuild Monday nights to their former glory, I teamed up with local metalhead Jack to put on Metal Mondays.

Blue Aside started the set off, performing as a two piece, as their bassist was sick with the flu, and possibly hospitalized. I really commend them for not canceling and playing anyways, and once they got over the many technical problems with microphones during their first song, they treated the audience to a set of new material, cranked through Adam's newly acquired Orange amp. Matt Netto's drumming was particularly fierce, probably to make up for the fact that his vocal mic shorted out during the first song. Good set from them, their first full length is going to rule if this set was indicative of the direction they intend to take. Very progressive and psychedelic, but still laced with a timeless, classic doom riffy goodness.

Might Could came on next, and they also had a "technical difficulty" to overcome - they were a bit hungover from their show in Boston the previous night, but hey, they drank up, rose to the occasion, and delivered a high volume, high energy set of material from their Small Stone debut. Awesome dueling guitars, good groove, and catchy tunes made for a set of pure win and awesomeness, and they held the largest crowd of the night.

Newcomers to the local scene Slumlord Beauty topped things off, with their eclectic mixture of extreme metal stylings. They were on fire, much better than their first Elevens performance a few months back, really inciting the crowd and delivering a fierce, deafening performance. As loud as Might Could were, they were louder, with the female vox just pushed to deafening volumes. This is a band to watch, they've managed to mix post/psychedelic stylings with sludge and some grind, and they come off with a similar vibe to Cobalt.

Overall, good show, turnout was decent for a Monday night, and we'll be doing many more like this...

I was here, but I dis-appare. You can get it if you really want, but you must try, try and try, you succeed at last.

Post subject: Re: 1/10 Blue Aside, Might Could, Slumlord Beauty Northampto
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:14 pm 

Saw Might Could on Sunday. Their technical problem then was a blown fuse (fixed handily and quickly). I guess the drinking went full tilt boogie after their set.

Good set; glad I caught 'em.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:51 pm 

I'm all for Monday Nitro if it started at like 9 instead of 10:15. But I held up for the first two bands. And missed most of the BCS Championship Game for it. That's worth some "scene points".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:24 pm 

Next one starts earlier, I already spoke with Bill on that last night.

I was here, but I dis-appare. You can get it if you really want, but you must try, try and try, you succeed at last.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]