Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Gozu,Lo-Pan,Black Thai,Birch Hill Dam-O'Brien's,7/26
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:57 am 

First off, I don’t know what the hell was going on at the Government Center T stop but I thought I had stumbled into a deleted scene from Harmony Korine’s teen boob fest “Spring Breakers”. A group of around fifty teenagers, mostly girls wearing tiny shorts and bikini tops in day-glo colors, came running en masse for the train, piling on and stuffing themselves into the car. Not the one I was on, mind you. But damn right I looked at ‘em. I’m not stupid. But I digress.

The real reason I’m writing this is not to show that I’m a dirty old man, but rather to tell you about the rock show that went down at venerable Allston drinking hole O’Brien’s. The gang was all there, with dudes from Cortez and Roadsaw showing support for their brothers in the Underground Rock Trenches. Birch Hill Dam led off the festivities with a set of solid, straight-ahead heavy-ass rock. A second axe slinger joined them at this show and was put to good use, with some harmonized solos flying around the stage a la Thin Lizzy. Throw in a shit hot cover of “No Woods” by legendary Boston knuckledraggers Stompbox and you’ve got yourself a show. Beers were hoisted and expletives were shouted, you bet.

Black Thai climbed up on stage next and before anyone had the chance to run for cover they unleashed a barrage of unholy riffage that left many begging for mercy as tears streamed down their pathetic faces. Well, not really, but it fucking rocked. Some new material was aired, and the Healey-O’Dowd guitar tandem traded off solos like they were put here on this Earth to do just that. One of the new songs was definitely epic in scope and execution, although I have no idea what it was called. A new album is in the works and it should be a ripper. Heavy shit, keep an eye out for it at your local Strawberries. Or iTunes. Wherever you get your music nowadays.

Lo-Pan, the band on a neverending tour, got the sweet spot on the show. You know how it is: drumset right up front, vocalist Jeff Martin hidden in the shadows, left to his own devices and to concentrate on singing his ass off. If there was ever a band to pick up the mantle thrown down by Only Living Witness, this is the band. They have the majestic riffs, the soaring vocals, the ultra-catchy melodies. It’s all there for you. All YOU have to do is not be a waterhead and ignore it. Seriously, what the fuck are you doing listening to Black Label Society? We all know that band sucks. Lo-Pan, on the other hand, does not. Lots of new material was played, including one called “Eastern Seas” and the closing song (title unknown), which totally decimated me. This shit kills. Lo-Pan’s next album could and should be the one that really exposes them to a wider audience, especially with the millions of miles they put in on the road. Just a great all around set of heavy rock. Kudos.

By now many High Lifes had been consumed and the wheels of rock were greased up and going full bore. There was no getting off of this ride, my friends, for Gozu still had to play, and play they did. Unholy Christ, it was one killer riff after another, songs from both of their Small Stone albums being played to an appreciative audience. Doug Sherman peeled off some face melting solos, abusing his wah pedal like it owed him money, and Barry Spillberg put on a workshop of How To Play Drums. There was a brief trainwreck moment when a song had to be restarted (again, I’m horrible with song titles. I know that Led Zeppelin has a song about stairs but I’ll be damned if I know what the fuck it’s called), but it was easy to overlook it as the rest of the set just totally destroyed. Hey, sometimes you get lost in the eye of a hurricane. It happens. Otherwise a top-notch rock show from top to bottom. The party girl puking on the corner across the street afterwards would've loved it.

Last edited by scarab cadaver on Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Gozu,Lo-Pan,Black Thai,Birch Hill Dam-O'Brien's,7/26
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:48 am 

It was def a killer show!

Post subject: Re: Gozu,Lo-Pan,Black Thai,Birch Hill Dam-O'Brien's,7/26
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:15 pm 

Fuckin right on that a Stompbox "No Woods" cover was played.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]