Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Kvelertak, Gozu - Great Scott, 5/20/13
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:45 am 

This was a sold out show at Great Scott and the anticipation was very high. Kvelertak are like the “it” girl in high school right now, their name is on the tip of everyone’s tongue, they are the great white hope for rock ‘n roll. I’m not extremely familiar with them, though I have listened to them, but I wanted to check it out in person and see what all the hub-bub was about myself.

Gozu opened the show by blasting through songs from both of their Small Stone albums, “Locust Season” and “The Fury of a Patient Man”. The sound was loud and heavy, and they didn’t waste any time between pummelings. Barry Spillberg abused his drums the way he usually does while Doug, Gaff and new bassist Joe Grotto doled out the riffs one after another, much like a boxer throwing a left then a right then another right and then a left, until you’re down and you’re not getting back up. Totally solid set.

Black Tusk have great gear, tons of energy, lots of enthusiasm, and the sound was dialed in, but they seemed to have forgotten to write any songs that you can remember. Seriously, I watched the whole set and I can’t remember one damn riff or chorus, other than when they led the crowd in yelling “SIX SIX SIX”, which is cool and all, but it’s not really a song, it’s just a bunch of people yelling. A few memorable hooks would help out immensely. Even Motorhead writes shit you can sing along to.

The best part of Cancer Bats’ set was the food I ate when I ducked out of the club for a few minutes. The second best part was their cover of “Sabotage” by the Beastie Boys, which was head and shoulders above any of their original material. The only reason I can think of for somebody liking this band is that you don’t like music. Nothing at all to recommend here. Pass.

Kvelertak hit the stage and the sold out club went apeshit. And the band went apeshit. Just total 100% energy. I don’t know the names of any of their songs and I couldn’t tell you what any of the band members’ names are, but Goddamn, they put on a show. They kind of remind me of the Refused, not so much in their sound but in their overall execution and vibe. Amps were stacked up all along the back of the stage, creating an imposing wall which served as the perfect backdrop for the unrelenting onslaught they delivered. Guitars were routinely swung above the players’ heads. This was one of “those shows” where you know you’re watching a special band at a special time in their career. I’m really not sure how each of their bodies just didn’t explode from not being able to contain the energy they had in them. Intense. Sweaty. Loud. Kvelertak showed that they’re the real deal, no doubt.

Post subject: Re: Kvelertak, Gozu - Great Scott, 5/20/13
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:47 pm 

Wow, a live review!!

Re Black Tusk- "have forgotten to write any songs that you can remember"

I've seen Black Tusk probably a dozen times since 2007 or so and couldn't tell you how a single song goes. Totally forgettable material. I don't bother seeing them any more.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:01 pm 

I tried to get into Cancer Bats, but they flat out bored me as well. Overproduced hardcore.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:07 am 

Spot on with my feelings about Black Tusk & Cancer Bats when they played here, except I didn't think to get any food while they were playing.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]