Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Ultra Electric Mega Galactic/ Yawning Man/ The Freeks Apr.18
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:49 pm 

I was not going to miss this gig if I had any say in it (sometimes shit happens and you can't say much, you just do what you have to do), and thankfully I did catch it. I don't think I've been to a show before where members of Fu Manchu (Ruben Romano), Monster Magnet (Ed Mundell) and Kyuss (Alfredo Hernandez) were all under the same roof playing. And local originators/ godfathers Yawning Man on top of that. Sort of a living dream for those who follow these sounds.

Ex-Nebula guys Ruben Romano and Tom Davies are both in The Freeks. I've caught them only a couple of times, their live sound is quite reminiscent of Nebula, more garage rock in feel on the albums. But there is still a healthy slab of psych in their delivery, some solid face-melting tones. If you love the garage-ier side of Nebula you'll settle in nicely. I could have sworn Scott Reeder and John McBain were in the band? At one time? Or maybe they just contributed to the first self-titled album...

Local favorites Yawning Man seemed to have the biggest draw that evening (though the place never really filled out surprisingly, don't know if everyone was wiped out from Coachella). The original line-up is in place of Gary, Mario & Alfredo, and they head off to Europe next Thursday for a couple weeks. Go catch them! They're playing brand new material and have a brand new vinyl, the Fatso Jetson/ Yawning Man 10" split. Hearing the new stuff Thursday night was a real treat. I love Rock Formations, but love to hear new songs as well. One of the cuts, "Underwater Noise", is particularly eerie and haunting. I never get tired of this band, nor should you :)

I keep missing The Ultra Electric Mega Galactic (shit happening, see above) and by the time they were set to go at 12:30AM, the place had emptied. I don't think people knew what they were missing, or who knows, but I'm glad I wasn't one of them. This is one of those acts I plan on never missing again. Instrumental Space Rock Deluxe, at its best, and Ed, Rick and Collyn seem like they born to lock-in and play with each other. Their recently released self-titled album is getting lavish praise, up and down, everywhere. And rightfully so. If you love early Atomic Bitchwax, Monster Magnet's Tab...25, unhinged fret-less bass playing, deep cosmos notes from the beyond that boomerang back in your face, and all that is ideal in psych deliciousness- do not miss The Ultra Electric Mega Galactic when they swing through your neighborhood. Better, go way out of your way to see them. This is one of those conceptually perfect rock trios. Check out this goodness too- Ed was just interviewed in Polish mag RockAxxess, where he said they'd be recording their live shows and later having them available as an online download. Now you have NO excuse...

Post subject: Re: Ultra Electric Mega Galactic/ Yawning Man/ The Freeks Ap
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:32 pm 

Dude, you were at that show? I thought we were only playing for a few local tweekers and the guys in the other bands. Come say hullo next time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:54 pm 

Buy the shirt here: http://www.theultraelectricmegagalactic.com/store.html

The Ultra Electric Mega Galactic t shirt design by Skillit-Art, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:22 am 

Caught them in L.A. on Sunday sans Yawning Man but with Blaak Heat Shujaa. Missed most of The Freeks, but thoroughly enjoyed BHS and UEMG. Great way to end the weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:28 pm 

SOMA wrote:
Caught them in L.A. on Sunday sans Yawning Man but with Blaak Heat Shujaa. Missed most of The Freeks, but thoroughly enjoyed BHS and UEMG. Great way to end the weekend.

don't mean to hijack but... how was blaak heat shujaa? they are gonna be in santa cruz on the 29th and want to know how they were live?
million man- I would def. check out UEMG if you played in SC. I am not a tweaker or in a band but wouldn't miss it either way...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:05 pm 

delasull, I went to the show as much to see BHS as UEMG. If you like their recorded sound, you should love them live.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]