Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Ludicra @ Mississippi Studios, PDX 1/1/11
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:58 pm 

Fucking hell, what a way to kick off the new year! I've got little doubt this'll be one of the top ten shows I've seen when compiling my year-end 2011 list, if not in the top five!

Headed out to Mississippi Studios, a newish venue, up in an arty district in North Portland. My first time there, as I think this was one of the first remotely metal shows they've had there, in their first couple years of operating. It went over really well for the most part. The club has great sound, when the soundman is working, good staff, $2 PBR pounders, a good cheeseburger, nice patio with a fireplace outside, a lot of space in the music area with a good balcony, although there are a few annoying bottlenecks in there, which you really don't have in a wider place like the two other clubs we lost recently here; Berbati's Pan and Satyricon. Still, seeing this club and the hope of hosting more heavy shows here took some of the sting out losing the almighty Berbati's Pan. Losing music venues in downtown is an inevitability, I think, so if the replacements are as suitable as this place is, all the better.

I showed up too late to see much of Atriarch's set. Just bad planning. I ended up hearing the last two minutes of the last song. Too little to really get much of a gauge on. My friends said they were good.

This was my first time seeing Oly, Washington's Christian Mistress. They were really good. A lot more professional sounding than I was expecting. They've got the same sort of dual guitar, riffy thing going on as Iron Maiden circa 'Killers', but with a female vocalist who can really belt it out. Very refreshing actually in this age. They really got shorted on the sound in the first half of the set though, the guitar levels were way too low. My friend actually went back and yelled at the sound guy, so it got better near the end of the set. I went up to the balcony in the last two or three songs and the sound was actually much better up there than anywhere on the floor from what I could tell. Good to know going forward and I spent most of the Ludicra set up there. Overall, Christian Mistress were fucking great though, becoming pretty much a can't-miss type of band for me.

Ludicra came out and goddamned fucking SLAYED. It was great, I was in the balcony, where the sound was dialed in. Near the end of their set, they got so locked in, it felt like I was somewhere else, like my body didn't exist, that I was in some reality or Hades that Ludicra created. If you read many metal blogs, their much lauded live reputation is well deserved. The last three times I've seen this band has been next-level shit; this show, their set at 2009 Fall into Darkness and at Thee Parkside in San Francisco in 2007. If this band comes to your town, don't miss them. It was a weird set in that they only played two songs off of their new album, but getting a career retrospective "greatest hits" package definitely did the trick! It was a fun, fun night. Everyone I spoke to was pretty stoked and I know Nate Carson was really happy with how it went. I expect a continuation of another great year of shows from Nate/Nanotear and hopefully more at this venue!

As stated before, a great start to a new year. I guess the NYE show up in Seattle with Ludicra, Brothers of the Sonic Cloth, YOB and Neurosis was fucking-off-the-hook as well. Wish I could have been there, but this show was definitely good enough.

Post subject: Re: Ludicra @ Mississippi Studios, PDX 1/1/11
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:47 pm 

First time seeing ATRIARCH on this show, and I plan on catching them again.

I thought of Christian Death while I was watching them. Portland's answer to Death Rock for sure.

Both Ludicra and Christian Mistress were also stellar.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]