Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Neurosis, Voivod, Yob @ Fox Theater, Oakland CA 11/17/12
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:37 pm 

My brother came out to Los Angeles few days before this trip which I was happy to have the company on my trek up north to Oakland. We checked into the Clarion hotel a few blocks down from the venue. It wasn't the best hotel, but I've stayed at worse. For the price we paid and the amount of time we were spending, it was more than adequate. The nice part was we weren't the only people staying at the hotel who were going to this show.

First of all; The venue was gorgeous. Nice large space, sound, decor. Staff wasn't that pushy. I can see why they didn't sell out the tickets right away because the place was really big.

The Merch: Scion was apparently giving away a free Yob live EP 12 inch vinyl with every Yob purchase. It was too tempting to say no and my brother didn't have a Yob shirt. Win win. As for myself, I bought my traditional Neurosis hoodie (I've gotten one from each new release since Sun that Never Sets 11 years ago) and a show poster (same tradition).

The Show:
First up was Yob. Opened with Burning the Altar. Then Mike said: This is going to be our last song. Which was The Mental Tyrant. Two songs, 45 minute set. That's Yob for you.

Next up was Voidvod. I'm ashamed to admit that I'm wasn't all that familiar with Voidvod. I'm glad that I saw them live before I dived too much into their discography because they were a fucking blast. Due to my ignorance, I can't list the songs that were played but they closed with a fucking awesome cover of Pink Floyds Astronomy Domine. Perfect. Perfect. PERFECT preface for the oncoming storm of Neurosis.

Finally, Neurosis. This is my sixth time seeing Neurosis. From what I've read and witnessed, this band is big on ritual. Steve Von Till even expressed it directly on this blog when it comes to their recording process. Well, they're live sets are no different. This show, however, it seemed like most of the crowd was pretty familiar with this process. Scott and Steve set up their gear, hoods up. When the gear is set, Dave Edwardson just sits there. Contemplates and meditates. The crowd sits buzzing until Noah comes on center stage, salutes (I assume) Josh Graham and heads to his keys. Seems to be the same every time.

The whole ride up, my brother and I did our best to attempt to predict what songs would be played and even had a bet going on what song they would open with. Needless to say, we both lost. If there's one thing I've learned about Neurosis, don't expect things from them because it will be something else entirely. As far as their set list, I may be off on the order of songs, so anyone can feel free to correct me.

Distill
My Heart for Deliverance
Times of Grace
At the Well
An Offering
At the End of the Road
Left to Wander
We All Rage in Gold
Bleeding the Pigs
Given to the Rising

I've fawned over Honor Found in Decay on these boards long enough but one of reasons I know this album will climb to one of my favorite Neurosis releases is that I was more excited to hear the new songs than anything else. They didn't disappoint in this respect because a song like My Heart for Deliverance is fucking massive live. Even when I first heard the song on the album I thought "I'll bet this song is killer live."

I've grown a lot since my first Neurosis concert. So have they. The difference is, much of my growth as a person has been a direct result of this band. I've glad to be alive to see Neurosis and to be alive when this new album came out.

Thanks for letting me rant. I refuse to proofread this.

edit: As an afterthought, I completely understand why Neurosis doesn't do any lengthy tours anymore. It takes a lot out of them and it certainly takes a lot out of the audience. It's loud, powerful, and very personal and emotional.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]