Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Black Thai, Black Pyramid, more - Great Scott, 12/5
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:43 am 

Well, there we were, another Saturday night in Beantown, congregating at another loud rock show, discussing the demise of the mighty Stonerrock.com and looking to the future with our shades on. Does the rock ever stop? Of course not, don't be foolish. You can't stop the rock. Even after the apocalypse comes and wipes us off the face of the Earth like so much unwanted detritus, the rock will still be here, making ears ring and heads bang. So, on with the show....

Livver hit the stage and proceeded to pummel us about the head, neck, face and chest area with loud, abrasive, mean rock. The guy with the mic kept yelling at us that we weren't good enough while the band churned out an angular mix of metal, hardcore and noise. I have no idea what any of the songs are about, but it probably has something to do with lousy jobs, shitty landlords and chicks who break your stupid heart. This is the second time I've seen these dudes and the second time I dug 'em, so they're two for two so far.

Do you like riffs? You know, the kind that Ted Nugent, Grand Funk Railroad, Fu Manchu and others of that ilk play? Huh? Do ya? Well then, Riff Cannon is the band for you. Nothing at all original going on here, but they nail what they're doing 100%. Double axe attack classic Stoner Rock is what these guys deliver. Like I told Arzgarth, who then STOLE MY LINE (the bastard), Riff Cannon is about as original as putting ice in a glass of water. But that don't mean it's not refreshing, because hey, who doesn't like a nice cold glass of water? Jerks, that's who.

Black Pyramid clambered up on stage next and brought the doom, sounding nice and thick and delivering the goods once again. See, these guys don't fuck around at all. They're not up there to tell you jokes or be your friend. They're up there to flatten you. And flatten they did. A good mix of songs off of their self-titled album as well as cuts from singles and brand new material was played to a most appreciative audience. The Pyramid is hitting Europe next year, including Roadburn, and I don't doubt that they'll flatten the red-eyed hordes on the other side of the pond as well.

And then Black Thai closed out the night, celebrating the release of their new EP "Blood From On High" and kicking off their short tour. These guys have progressed a long way in a short time, playing some heavy, muscular rock that mixes doom with Soundgardenish tendencies. The melodic vocals of Jim Healey are able to soar over the unholy din and Jeremy Hemond beats the living crap out of his drums, showing why he's in three of the hardest hitting bands in Boston right now (well, besides the money he pays to each of them). Seriously though, great show. The highlight for me was undoubtedly "Sinking Ships", which is like getting hit again and again by a large bus with cement tires. I'm into that shit.

Last edited by scarab cadaver on Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Black Thai, Black Pyramid, more - Great Scott, 12/5
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:44 am 

i fucking did it again! the date of the show is 12/4, not 12/5. dammit!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:51 am 

And a duplicate thread!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:53 am 

yeah, i figured what the hell, might as well jump in both feet first.

plus, i wanted my own thread. :p

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:25 pm 

Shit, you guys have already fucked this board all up.

Nice review.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:55 am 

Saw Black Thai in Brooklyn last night and they were great. I got really drunk.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:17 pm 

Good news! Looking forward to anything Jim does. Tehy should come on down Columbus OH is only like a 2 and half hour drive from the South side.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:40 pm 

Great review, thanks Darryl, and thanks for coming out guys.

Nice live blog thread from Arzie as well, good hanging out with that cat, it had been too long...

I was here, but I dis-appare. You can get it if you really want, but you must try, try and try, you succeed at last.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:16 pm 

Likewise.

I thought the live blog was a bit of a dud (A for effort!). Every time I started typing, I realized (a) writing something fast and on the spot on a smart phone was tough going and (b) I felt like I looked like another hipster asshole too busy dicking around on his phone to bother watching a show, so I got wicked self conscious.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:43 pm 

Black Thai was fucking badass when I saw them a couple months ago. Or whenever that was. I have no sense of time lately.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]