Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: An acoustic kind of evening at Saint Vitus bar 7/21/12
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:21 pm 

I should preface this by saying that I'm not really into acoustic music all that much, but of respect to Mike Scheidt I thought I should catch this gig. Doing it again with Wino/Conny Ochs at Vitus later in August actually.

So I got there around 8:45. Kevin Hufnagel was on stage already tearing through his set of acoustic instrunmental-only pieces. Got a zeppelin-vibe off of him. Interesting stuff, looking more forward to the Wino gig now that he's opening.

Nate Hall was up next, whose music both in USX and solo I had never heard before. He played dark, sombre folk, couldn't say in the vein of who, but it was powerful. Glad I sat through his set.

Got to talk to Mike again, thanked him for coming to Brooklyn with the tour. He played a pretty short set for a headliner, 5, 6 songs tops. The first were two bluesy instrumental numbers, with the second throwing in some downright funk. Very interesting and different from what noises I'm used to hearing from Mike. A cover, a duet with Nate, and Stay Awake from his solo album filled the rest of the too short set.

Place was rather empty for a Saturday night gig, apparently not many people care to venture into the acoustic territories being mined by a select few heavy artists.

I for one dug the entire evening, which ended before eleven. If you can, this is a different kind of tour. I recommend catching it. Really looking forward to finally seeing Wino's take on the softer music now.

G'nite. Enjoy the rest of the weekend, be safe, don't do anything I wouldn't do sober.

Jeff

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]