Change font size
The Obelisk Radio - Now Playing: Loading... (iTunes)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: COC,Torche,Black Cobra,Gaza-The Middle East,6/23/12
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:33 am 

I was looking forward to this show and it did not disappoint. Four heavy hitters playing all manner of sludge, hardcore, noise and pop. Gaza started off the night with a set of unrelenting angular noise metal. Nothing about these guys is subtle. Nothing. If they tell you otherwise then they are straight up lying. Loud as hell and violent sounding, it was exactly like getting hit in the face over and over with a hammer. They’re like a more pissed off Converge, if that’s possible. At times it literally sounded like explosions were emanating from their amps, it didn’t even sound like instruments playing music. (This is a compliment of the highest order, by the way.) Their singer got down off the stage after the first song and performed the rest of the set amongst the audience, getting right up close to the crowd and screaming in our faces, letting us know that we were scum and didn’t deserve to live. Or something. We loved it.

I’d like to thank Black Cobra for my sore neck. At one point I was headbanging on autopilot, the riffs and drums just took over and I was lost in a haze of distortion. They were spot on tonight, nothing was amiss. I’ve seen these guys five or six times and this may have been the best sounding set yet. There is no fat to Black Cobra’s songs, it’s just riff after riff after riff with explosive drums threatening to overtake everything at any given moment. Some parts sound, to me, like prime Ministry, when Al Jourgensen was leading his troops into speed metal battle. Other parts are just total fucking doom bliss. No complaints whatsoever here.

You’ve heard of the Eagles of Death Metal, right? Well, Torche are the Wings of Sludge. They have no right to be as heavy as they are and play catchy, poppy songs. No right at all, dammit. Husker Du + Foo Fighters + melodic Helmet = Torche (do the math). If they were playing what they’re playing right now back in 1992 then Nirvana would’ve been opening for them. It’s just disgusting how catchy some of these songs are. And yes, the Bomb String was deployed and in full effect, leveling the audience and leaving huge smiles on people’s faces. As one dude said to me right after they finished, Torche live is religion, pure and simple. Jaw dropping.

Corrosion of Conformity. Legends of hardcore. What is there to be said about them? They got up there and did what they do, which is play their own brand of Black Sabbath infused punk rock. They looked too big to be on that stage. And yes, there was a pit, but it wasn’t a “I’m going to break your neck and kill you” pit, it was more of a “Oh my God, I fucking love this song, let’s run into each other at full speed” pit. My only complaint is that they would start a song and then abandon it, such as playing a verse of “Vote With a Bullet” with Reed singing lead or two verses of Sabbath’s “Hand of Doom” and then go into something else. They did, however, play a full version of the song “Deliverance”, which got many a head banging. I kind of wish they would delve more into the Pepper-era material, even if he’s not in the band at this point, but that’s a minor complaint. COC is an institution and for good reason. Few bands manage to blend authentic doom ala Sabbath with frenetic hardcore and make it work. COC does it and they do it well. Excellent show from top to bottom. A sore neck don’t lie.

Post subject: Re: COC,Torche,Black Cobra,Gaza-The Middle East,6/23/12
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:35 pm 

Photos from the show by Hillarie Jason....

http://www.hillariejason.com/LiveShows/ ... &k=H8K2mLn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:32 am 

The COC show I saw in NYC a few months ago was totally mint deluxe. They didn't do any of the Pepper-era stuff, which was fine by me, but a lot of others weren't as happy. I'm really glad the original recipe line up is back and kicking ass. I got a chance to talk to them after the show and they said they had no plans at this time to bring back Simon Bob Sinister, but you never know.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:08 pm 

yeah man, i bet a lot of people were psyched that they played so little of the pepper stuff. i just really like some of those songs. but they played a shit ton off the new album, i would say that was about half of their set. which is cool, i like that new album.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:03 pm 

Cool review. Black Cobra always kills it and I would have liked to have checked out this iteration of C.O.C., but work was killing when this package came thru here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:19 am 

I love the new C.O.C. tape!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:46 am 

Agreed. I saw this show in Charlotte last month. I missed Gaza, but Black Cobra ripped and Torche was nice too. CoC imo was on another level though. They're regarded as legends for a reason. That new album fucking rules. It's my album of the year along with High on Fire. Just a perfect blend of Sabbath and punk. Reed Mullin is a badass. Very unpredictable with his fills. So glad he's back with em. Woody lays down the riffage and Mike Dean's vocals are pure evil without resorting to cookie monster, growling shit.
Crowd was really small which was strange considering NC is their home state and it was on a Fri. night. Whatever. A great show is a great show.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]